Best current source for multifix tool holders in Europe - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just noticed on checking my link, are you the "SteveI" on this model engineer forum?
    David[/QUOTE]

No David, I am not the same.
    Steve

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just bought an A size set of Multifix QCTP parts from Create Tool. All but the threading tools but those are also available. I havn't used them yet but the parts look and fit fine. The challenge was figuring out what size to buy. I am going to use a spacer plate on the cross slide. After getting the parts and considering a range of tool sizes I decided I need 30mm between the base of the tool post and the centre line of the lathe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Wet Coast Canada View Post
    I just bought an A size set of Multifix QCTP parts from Create Tool. All but the threading tools but those are also available. I havn't used them yet but the parts look and fit fine. The challenge was figuring out what size to buy. I am going to use a spacer plate on the cross slide. After getting the parts and considering a range of tool sizes I decided I need 30mm between the base of the tool post and the centre line of the lathe.
    Following on my earlier posts as well as this one, I recently bought a size A Multi-Suisse tool post and assorted holders (including external threading and cut-off holders) directly from SRW Amestra. I then ordered some additional A 2090 tool holders from Create; Amestra and Create use the same numbering system for their tool holders. The Create A 2090 tool holders are as nicely made as those from Amestra. OK, I didn't do hardness testing on any of these nor have I used them for thousands of hours each yet. The height adjusting screws and the square head screws interchange. The Create holders tighten up at the same point on the tool post as those from Amestra.

Indeed the Amestra and the Create A 2090 holders look quite similar, including some cosmetic details, to the point that I wouldn't be surprised to find that they were from the same maker. Neither is marked with a brand name or a country of origin. The tool post itself is labeled:

"ORIGINAL MULTI SUISSE
    -A-
    SRW AMESTRA Gmbh"

David
    Last edited by old_dave; 04-06-2018 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Grammar

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good to see this informative thread on the Multifix toolposts.

I purchased two Mulifix ED 20100 holders way back in the "glory days" of eBay when it was primarily an auction site and much friendlier to sellers. The selection and pricing were much better back then.

Both were brand new in SPI boxes (SPI part No. 71-251-3). I assumed they were Swiss. One of the two is stamped "ORIGINAL MULTI SUISSE". The other is not, and otherwise they are identical (except for a number stamp on the bottom that may be a production date).

Later I bought an EFI internal threading holder and noticed it was stamped "Made in Switzerland". All this was academic since I did not have the toolpost, nor a lathe big enough to take advantage of the "E" Multifix (at the time I only had my Schaublin 102N).

Once I acquired a Hardinge HLV-H, I felt I had a need to put the Multifix E to use, primarily to use my Val-Cut trepanning tool, which has a 22mm shank. I was able to source a NOS Multifix E Toolpost from a member on this site. The badge on the side of the toolpost reads:

ORIGINAL MULTIFIX SUISSE®
    -E-
    MIVESA Made in Switzerland GENEVE

Here is what I've noticed: The Swiss made EFI holder slides in and clamps perfectly. The SPI holder marked "ORIGINAL MULTI SUISSE" fits very tightly (the lever moves slightly for closing). The other SPI holder without the stamp fits very VERY tight. You can barely slide it down the splines and the handle can barely move.

If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate hearing them. I've had it suggested to improve the fit on the tight ED holders using an EDM machine.

It occurs to me that a conventional carbon electrode EDM would work well, making a 9mm diameter electrode to simulate the pin one the end of the Multifix strap and then eroding a bit of metal until the fit is good. It would be great if I could find someone within driving distance of Los Angeles so I could bring all the parts and test-fit after eroding so as to not remove too much metal.

Also, I need to make a proper hold-down bolt for the Multifix E. At the moment I am using a T-Nut fitting the HLV-H compound that came with a KDK 100 toolpost, and a 7/16-14 cap screw. This works OK and allows me to use the setup for trepanning (see attached photo). But I would like to make a "proper" hold-down.

My questions are:

1. Is a bolt coming from below with a nut on top of the toolpost superior for any reason other than eliminating the possibility of the bolt driving through the T-nut to the compound? The T-nut I'm using on the HLV-H has an incomplete thread to prevent this

2. Is there any relationship between toolpost size and the size of the T-nut where it contacts the T-slot in the compound? In other words, how big should the contact are of the T-nut be to distribute the clamping force evenly and be sufficient for the size of the toolpost?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails multifix_on_hlv-h.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Posted in the General section about my questions regarding T-bolts for the compound T-slot and have got a lot of good replies:

Best Way to Make T-Slot Bolts for Lathe Compound / QC Toolpost

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

just so everybody knows: the "original" multifix made in switzerland has not been produced for decades.

multifix tool holders

7. Likes cinematechnic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dian,

Nice to read your linked thread on Multifix. However the photos and linked photos are missing. Is there any chance you could re-post them? It would be really nice to see them.

Many thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i think you need to download an "photobucket embed fix" for your bouser(s). i see them just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

@dian Ahh, thank you...that solved the problem.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by steve-l View Post
    ...In case you are a Multi-fix user, be aware that there is a new style cut-off tool holder from China that is greatly superior to the original Swiss style...
    I'm quite interested to know how the Chinese cut-off holders are better than the original Swiss design. I have switch to Multifix and need to get a cut-off holder.

I've got two Multifix setups now, size -A- and -E-. The A was made by J.F. Minder and the E by Mivesa.

Quote Originally Posted by dian View Post
    just so everybody knows: the "original" multifix made in switzerland has not been produced for decades.

multifix tool holders
    Thanks for posting a link to that thread!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have an EFI internal threading holder for size E Multifix that I use on my Hardinge HLV-H.

Even though the Hardinge has a retraction feature on the toolpost slide (which works great for external threads), I prefer using the Multifix EFI's retraction feature for internal threads.

It is also useful for precision boring since you can prevent the cutting tool from scoring the bore when the carriage is retracted.