What's new
What's new

Boley 5LZ

Erik

Hot Rolled
Hi guys. A happy New Year to all.

I just gave myself a nice New Year's present :D :

a9a4_1.jpg

A rare machine - I consider it to be a German Schaublin. 120mm centre height x 500mm length, 3550 RPM on top, leadscrew shielded under the bed, bedways shielded. Unfortunately someone nicked the tailstock, change wheels and collets. :mad: Even the v-belt from the motor and a part from the Multifix QC toolpost. But that made it dirt cheap.

First, a tool trek to Germany (I'm located way out in the Baltic Sea; makes things expensive and complicated) and then hunting for the missing parts.

Anyone got a manual for it? (it's from 1971 with a modern spindle nose - the German equivalent of the camlock)

Cheers
Erik

Hi Erik !

Happy new Year !

Nice Lathe,

I bought a Boley 4L 2 years ago and I am a big fan of those Machines.
Acessorys for Boley Lathes appear regulary on Ebay.de
With a little patience you can get even a tailstock.

The Collets must be B23, also use by Schaublin.
Tony could have a Manual (lathes.co.uk).

Greetings
Oliver

Here`s a Picture of my Lathe.
Not fully assembled and still some Parts to paint(Apron,Tool-Cabinet etc.)

298006.jpg

It must be made around 1950.

Hi Erik- very nice machine. Does it have any unusual automatic stops for threading ? Keep us posted if you find any of the goodies.

Markus

Hi Markus, thanks.

Well, I don't think so. But there is some kind of scale or such in the back, but the connected box has been ripped off too. Aarghh. There is a large box on the back with the electrics - I'll have to remove it, rewire it and place the neccessary parts somewhere else. It's too deep with the box on.
7d64_1.jpg

It's very much like a Schaublin - feeds via a belt and changewheels used only when screwcutting.

8c00_1.jpg

Cheers
Erik

Hi Oliver.

That's a _very_ nice lathe you've got there.
It looks really great to have the leadscrew out of the way like that. Great design.
But it looks like you don't have powered cross-feed?

Cheers
Erik

No, it dont have powered cross-feed.

The threading-stops Markus mentioned should be the
same as on my machine.
The 2 adjustable wedges at the front direct over the feedrod.
And here is this turret-like device in front of the headstock which reminds me of this project from chris heapy`s site.
m-stop1.jpg

Anyway.... i hope the machine arrives safely in your shop and you can tell us more about its wonderful features.

Greetings
Pablo

Hi Pablo (can't call you Oliver now, can I?).

Unfortunately I can't run my Boley - There are some electromechanical parts missing from the clutch/brake, so there's no connection between the motor and the spindle now (I also had to remove the electrics box to get it in the door and I haven't got the room for it anyway. I need to make it more compact). I need to find out what/why they are and get/make some. But to make them I probably need a lathe - great I just got one - eeh no
. And I was just told not to take anything apart until I got the manual. More and more people tell me it's a great lathe, that really makes me happy :D . From the looks it's a small lathe on steroids. But all that weight and stiffness should give it great performance. I'll post some pictures when I get it installed. But although it looks okay, it'll need some work to get it up and running.

Cheers
Erik

Hi Erik

errrr sure you can :D
Oliver is my real name, i use Pablo in another Forum as Nickname.
I was posting there minutes before and mixed things up a little :cool:

The Brake/Clutch circuit should be not that complicated.
A schematic woul be certainly a great advantage.

Greetings
Oliver

Hi Oliver.

I called a nice Scot who has promised me a copy of a copy of an english manual plus a (etc.)sales brochure (grreat!). And he strongly advised me not to take anything apart until I had read the manual (BTW, he claimed it was the best lathe he had ever had). My problem in the clutch department is, all the connectorthingys are missing, probably taken as spare parts for the rest of the company's Boley's. and without power, no connection between motor and headstock. Here are some pictures:

SmallBoley02.JPG

SmallBoley04.JPG

SmallBoley05.JPG

SmallBoley06.JPG

SmallBoley08.JPG

SmallBoley09.JPG

As you can see, there are just the wires, no connectors.
SmallBoley12.JPG

I had to remove the electrics to get it in, and I'll have to fit it in a smaller box (more flat) somehow. I sure hope there is also a diagram in the manual.

Cheers for now
Erik

Well, the connectorthingys are called "current brushes" and it took a bit of phonework, but I managed to find them in Denmark (sold out, of course).

But they are more expensive here than I had been led to believe. Almost 400 Dkr. + 25% VAT and there's 3 of them. Maybe one of the members recognize them - they look like spark plugs and are made by ZF (Zahnradfabrik Friedrichshafen AG). Siemens used to distribute them. I need 2 off called TSN 6/16 (works wet inside the clutch) and one called STN 8 (touches the axle dry outside).
Does anyone know how to adjust the main spindle bearings? I would really like to know if they are ok before I start using real money on the lathe. But I don't dare dismantling the headstock bearings, unless I suspect something is wrong.

Cheers
Erik

Hi Nick.

I made an exchange deal for one that was claimed to be from a 5LZ.
As it turned out, it was for a model 4 instead. So the centre height is 10mm lower.
I plan on fitting a 10mm raising block of tool steel, but it'll be when I have the time.
If you´re interested I bought a nice 5" tailstock from a Denford (Viceroy?). It's now surplus.

Cheers
Erik

Hi Erik,
This one is fitted with what is described as a "boley" tailstock but obviously not the right one. I will try some contacts in Germany.
Is the original 3 Morse Taper or 2 ??

Best regards
Nick

Hi Nick.

Are you about to buy a Boley 5LZ?If, then send me a PM. There are some things you should be aware of. Mail me pictures of the tailstock and check the centre height - it might be one of the other kinds made for the 5LZ.

Cheers
Erik

Erik
I don't know what a PM is !! But you can contact me in UK on nicholas.ann (at) btinternet.com or telephone 44-1234-709592.
Yes i am about to buy a 5LZ and as I say it is fitted with a tailstock. I would be interested in your comments about what to watch out for.

regards
Nick

Boley 5 lz

I have recently acquired a similar machine to Erik's. In very nice condition and somebody has obviously done a superb refurbishment job on it. 28 -3550 rpm is something else. The tailstock is off another Boley and it does not have the automatic screwcutting function which would be useful. Does anybody have a circuit diagram for this lathe?

Attachments

• Myboleysmall.JPG
    Myboleysmall.JPG
    7.6 KB · Views: 1,499
Hi Nick.

Of course I have a circuit diagram for you. Do you have the manual for the lathe?

I can see it's not the original tailstock (looks Leinen-like)- but the automatic
screwcutting lies in some stops and it uses an automatically retracting toolpost.

Cheers
Erik

Back