What's new
What's new

Buying a Schaublin 135

marcsO

Hot Rolled
Schaublin 135 buying and restoring

Hi all.

A while back I bought and renovated a nice Hardinge HLV and was active on the Hardinge forum on this site which was superb, supportive and very helpful, I subsequently sold the machine and had been searching for a Schaublin, not originally a 135 but one has turned up and I have agreed a purchase subject to checking the machine out first.

I don't have a huge knowledge on these machines other than they are superbly engineered and when all together are a very capable, sought after and accurate machine. I know about a few issues like the oil feed system which can spring leaks all over belts etc and is notoriously hard to fix, the brake system is complex and difficult to repair if faulty etc. What I am looking for is some guidance as to what to check and look out for, and ensure is right etc, what accessories should be available like change wheels (tooth numbers etc) collect changers, steadies etc.

It's been stored unused for around 12 months in a damp location (its winter here) so the last 3 months have been damp so surface rust etc will be present and the amount will determine its value as well.

Either way any pointers, advice, or watch outs etc welcome. I friend will help check wear and tolerances/runout etc and fingers crossed this machine is worthy of care and TLC as I hope to bring it back to a condition worthy of its engineering pedigree.

Excited to share the journey here and will post pictures and info as the journey unfolds

Thank you and look forward to your support and help :)

Marc

It all depends on the price
If it is GBP2500 or less

BUY BUY BUY

If under GBP 5000
If it runs decent and all works sort of
Buy

Over GBP 5000
Just then take a serious look at the machine

And on a decent one expect to pay much more depending on the YOM

Peter

Peter

Its well under GBP2500, not sure of age yet but will find out in a week or so, it has the base unit that has two compartments one each end, motor one end and electric the other so believe it to be a later version but have no clue as to potential year. Multifix toolholder, fast spin star wheel on the tailstock, steadies and some tooling, manual etc.
Its grubby but hoping mainly surface crud and oil etc, hopefully a good project to get stuck into and looking forward to the process of slowly striping and cleaning everything up.

So a question, what is considered the best process to clean a machine like this, what products and process gets good results? I know WD40, white spirit, scotchbrite and wire wool, buffing wheels etc and Evoporust are obvious choices but any little gem ideas for other methods out there?

Marc

Attachments

• 3B9E2D3F-3619-4FF4-915D-52BE45366E7E.jpg
    3B9E2D3F-3619-4FF4-915D-52BE45366E7E.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 256
All wrapped up and bought, the advice around pricing and the deal I got just made me think that even if there were some major issues I could break it and sell the good parts and not be out of pocket, naturally I'm hoping the 135 is good to renovate as that is the intention.
Went to see it today to plan the transport, although covered in a good layer of grime and dirt the beds, carriage, cross slide and chuck all seemed good, no detectable backlash, chuck span true and seems to have a decent although not I suspect full compliment of key accessories.
It has a genuine Multifix tool post and three holders, 3 and 4 jaw chucks, no obvious maker visible yet but they are both suffering from some surface rust, open and close freely however. It has a 3 point steady, chuck cover, 8 change wheels and around 30 collets.
If someone can let me know what change wheels it should have and also the year of manufacture from the plates that would be great.

Once its back at mine will see if it fires up and no doubt can then start the real autopsy process which I am hoping will be fun and challenging in equal quantities.

acmfb8N0TfqRlIaP%ycnVw.jpgpSV4w0AhQWeLxP8S6VffIA.jpgxgid2lKSQN2+71CJtgy24g.jpg7hXa0jkeRES73vZeSq2T+Q.jpg

There is a tool supply company in Jarrow, Newcastle, UK, called Bede Tools and Machinery with a Shaublin in stock now. They are on renovating it for sale and it has a lot of genuine accessories with it. May be worth a call if anyone is interested.

I double your money :D

For spares you could also ask Ruemema
Drehmaschinen von Ruemema
He is one of 2 I am aware of that is capable of rebuilding a 135 to original or better specs Also a very helpfull person
But be aware his solutions for a problem are always 110% Expensive many times therefore His machines can be discribed as conventional hard turning machines

Peter

Thanks Peter.
I'm hoping that the machine is within my capabilities to refurbish along with some friends who are engineers, naturally if the machine turns out to be bad then my option would be to look for people who need parts and sell them on. I believe my main issues will be around the oil feed system as this seems to be very fragile in that the seals perish over time and leaks occur near the belt drive area and this has bad results on drive and belt life. The unions where the seals are housed are very critical to under or over tightening as I believe.
Hopefully the motor and electrics are OK, motor would be very expensive to fix but wiring and electrics are easier as I recently re-wired a Hardinge HLV.

More of the 135.....
xW8XIIiUTdKw3COLmTEgbA.jpgYuR164q6Q8WQZ7WR8m0Y2Q.jpg22Yi3TM%QNidMldYUJYX4Q.jpgpSfDJ+2nTVyoXwWK%Geacw.jpgeqF9uL0uQe+3jU9lqWx4lg.jpg

if it comes to decision of parting it out - don't, better offer the whole thing for 2x or 3x you payed for it to someone like Peters mentioned Ruemema, it will be much better use of your and everyone elses time, you get rid of it all at once and don't have to waste time on single piece buyers and storing left overs for God knows how long, and Ruemema can decide to not part it out but fix whatever you deemed not possible or too expensive, also he would have much larger customer base to offer single parts in case it is beyond rebuilding

Good to have options, hopefully it will be good enough to fix up without having to do a bank job in the process.

Anyone out there who can answer to manufacture year before I ping an email to Schaublin?

My 150 looked worse than yours and fired up perfectly. Good luck!

I would like to be first in line to buy parts if you have to part it!!

I know the extra gear set is the same on both lathes. I only have the stock set that came equipped on the lathe.
The 135 and 150 are very similar, I imagine there are many parts that can be swapped between the two.

Back