What's new
What's new

Buying a Weiler Matador

Tfrench

Aluminum
Hi all, I'm looking at buying (read: definitely buying!) a Weiler Matador. Some may have seen me in the deckel forum - I picked up a couple of deckel mills at auction recently. This lathe is from the same seller - it didn't meet reserve and has been sitting on a farm ever since. The paintjob layer archaelogy is exactly the same as the FP2 I got so I assume they came from the same place. These are the couple of pictures I took today:

Weiler lathe
Weiler lathe

Main issue (bargaining chip!) is that the toolpost is missing. Looks like it should be a multifix type, but not sure if it is an A or B size? The 4 jaw chuck in the red box looks massive but I've seen pictures of that style with other Weilers so I think it is the correct one? The door to the cabinet is locked but I can see through a hole that the fixed steady is in there. Any other points or things to look for would be greatly appreciated. Also in the boxes are a lot of the aluminium name plates and labels - I think someone had started to refurbish the machine already. Might need pictures and assistance to work out where they all go!
Thanks in advance
Tom

Hi Tom,

Ive got a matador too.
Mine has a multifix A installed.
With that i can use tools with a shaft of 16, sometimes 20mm.

The 4 jaw chuck i have is also pretty big.
Might be the same.

The plates that are not on the machine should be easy to find out where they should be. Pics on internet enough.

There is one one marktplaats.nl , looking the same age as yours with some good pictures.

Greetings,

Peter

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Well we picked it up on saturday morning and got it back to the workshop. First job was to grind the lock off and find out what was in the cabinet. Unfortunately no toolpost or toolholders but there were both steady rests in there. We also got a set of DIN collets for it and the manuals. So I'm still in the market for a toolpost - would a size B be suitable? I know someone who has one and a couple of holders and the B size seem more common second hand. Will get some more pictures as well.

Thanks Peter. I worked out the B was too big and have ordered a size A set (that's dads birthday present sorted!) We had a bit of time this afternoon and cleaned it up - it looks so much better now! All the surface rust has come off. Need to get some oil for the apron before we run it up but we are about ready now. Powered the DRO up as well and that is all good. Forgot to get any pictures though.

Back