What's new
What's new

Cazeneuve Chuck Mounting on HB575

svltrack

Plastic
Hello all..

Recently purchased a 70's HB575. This might be a little bit of a novice machinist question but I am not familiar with this type of chuck mount and it certainly differs from what I have seen on these lathes (and others).

Instead of centering on a taper and then being bolted in place, or mounting onto a series of cam studs, the back plate on this HB575 is mounted with three conically-tipped studs that are threaded. These threaded studs then push onto the lathe in conical mounting holes.

It seems like a poor design from the standpoint that only the tips of these studs anchor the plate, chuck, and work piece. I could see the stud tips shearing after prolonged heavy cuts combined with significant weight. Also, with any sort of chatter it would seem rather likely that the studs will loosen and walk.

Does anyone have a picture of the backside of an original faceplate or chuck showing how it mounts? Mine also doesn't have the tapered cone center I see on a lot of these machines in OE vintage photos and so I am a little curious. Ideally, I would like to keep both 12" Cushman chucks that came with but secure the overall mounting better.

Some pictures:
image.jpg
Lathe without plate mounted
image.jpg
Same showing threaded holes and bore
image.jpg
Back of face plate

Hey Guys, I am the new owner of an HB 575 and I am interested in machining my own adapter plate.. the links above are no longer valid.. can anyone send me the info in the links? Does anyone have the precise measurements of the adapter plate?

Back