What's new
What's new

Cazeneuve HB 575 chuck/adapter system

captain-trumpet

Aluminum
Hi,

there`s a Cazeneuve HB 575 for sale I want to look at.
besides of some other tooling it has got one 3 jaw chuck 250mm and one faceplate.

Besides of a camlock as an option I know they have their own chuck-system but I`m still not sure wether I understand it right.
The one I want to look at has got this cazeneuve-system
The adapter is looked with 3 conical threaded pins onto the spindle. OK. I got that.

But there seem to be different adapter-types. Some with no pins, 1 pin, 2 pins and some 3.
I have drwaings here clearly showing 1 pin
Or is it wrong ? :ack2:
I found this thread reg a Cazeneuve HBX showing an adapter without any pins
Weiterleitungshinweis

Does a cazeneuve adapter for cazeneuve chucks has any pins at all ?

Another dealer is apparantly offering a 4 jaw chuck for a cazeneuve
Weiterleitungshinweis
The reading of the internal diameter says 84.76mm

Somewhere I`ve found the information that it should be an 82.5mm
(3.505 "). But 3.505" is basically the same like Camlock D1-5 ?! :crazy:
I`m not sure.
What is the diameter of the cazeneuve adapter-ring which fits into a cazeneuve chuck ?

Last question but an important one:
Is it that one cazeneuve adapter fits all cazeneuve typed chucks ? No matter the chuck size ?

Sorry for this basic questions but I simply didn`t find something in the archives or elsewhere

Thanks
Rainer

Hi Rainer,

looking at the HBX there only two systems. The Camlock D1-5 and the Cazeneuve adaption. this Cazeneuve adaptions always has 3 conical screws to fix the chuck or faceplate.
in case of the HB 575 the situation will be the same, but bigger sizes as the HBX.
to be sure, you can contact Cazeneuve directly. They will answer your question within a few days.
in my case the answers came over the Dutch importer of Cazeneuve.

regards, Bertus

To add to Bertus' response:

The Caz has either a proprietary cone:

Here the chucks are either:
-locked by 3 M14 radially applied setscrews with square driving holes, or:
-with larger chucks like the 4- jaw in the advert, by four capscrews from the front of the chuck. All spindles have both options, both the 3 divots on the circumference for the setscrews, and four threaded holes on the front. The fourjaw in the advert uses the last option. Threejaw chucks seldom have the room for this option.

Or: The lathe may be fitted with D1-5 mounting. I suspect this is mainly an the lathes originally sold to the Philips company in the Netherlands.

Ole

Here the chucks are either:
-locked by 3 M14 radially applied setscrews with square driving holes, or:

Ole

To make sure that I understand this once and for all:
The backplate is secured with 3 bolts onto the spindle.
The chuck is tightend with 4 capscrews thru the chuck, thru the backplate, threading into the spindle.
Is this correct ?

Thanks for assuring me that the chuck in the link I posted is one for the camlock type spindle D1-5

I asked a french company (Ladner) for a quote on a new 4 jaw chuck for this lathe .

Thanks a lot
rainer

JFYI
I was told that Amestra is manufacturing backplates for Cazeneuve spindles (http://www.srw-amestra.de).
So I called them and asked for a (HB500/575) 250mm/10" chuck and they want €461 excl tax. I forgot to ask wether the bolts are included. The plate is ready to mount but the front you have to machine acc to the chuck you want to mount. This could be a DIN 6350 chuck eg. A cast-iron 4 jaw chuck to be mounted directly onto the spindle is a €1242. My tinnitus was almost unbearable so I can`t remember if jaws are included. The other company Ladner never replied.

Always strange that some companies never bother to reply..

I highly recommend the Ladner chucks though, i have one on my Okuma (315mm 3-jaw with ISO change jaws) and it is really really smooth to use and excellent finish.

Yeah.... I have tried to call Ladner for many days now, and all I get is a recorded message in French saying something I don't have a clue about. No answer after 5 minutes of waiting. Seems they don't want to talk to customers.
To bad as their gear seem to be good quality stuff.

I don't have any mountings for my HBX360, and need a way to attach a chuck. I have several chucks, but no interface plate.

My lathe has the proprietary Caz interface too, so I need to get an adaptor plate. I'm considering trying to make my own, I do own a rotary grinder. But I think the max diameter is a bit to small for the standard chuck size (8") I'd like to put on it as normal chuck, so I will have to find a way to fix that.

I would like to know if anyone have the complete spec for the interface though? Anyone?

As I have understood the Caz interface you are supposed to use EITHER the 4 screws in the front, OR the 3 notches on the sides to attach your chuck. Which one is decided based on what fits best. Most large 4 jaw chucks and face-plates with room to use the 4 screws in the front are using this option. Most smaller chucks use the 3 notches. Most of them won't allow for access to the 4 screws.

Anders

JFYI
I was told that Amestra is manufacturing backplates for Cazeneuve spindles (Startseite).
So I called them and asked for a (HB500/575) 250mm/10" chuck and they want €461 excl tax. I forgot to ask wether the bolts are included. The plate is ready to mount but the front you have to machine acc to the chuck you want to mount. This could be a DIN 6350 chuck eg. A cast-iron 4 jaw chuck to be mounted directly onto the spindle is a €1242. My tinnitus was almost unbearable so I can`t remember if jaws are included. The other company Ladner never replied.

Ladner NEVER EVER REPLY, Roem make em, they never reply either, in the end , because my 12 inch original chuck was stuffed I just bought a 10 inch and swung it in thew big 4 jaw, bloody pain

Back