What's new
What's new

Cazeneuve HB575

Ritul

Plastic
Hi,
I'm negotiating on a used Cazeneuve HB575 1500mm. On inspection, I've observed that the tailstock centre does not seem to be adjustable. Can anyone guide me if there is a way to adjust this? Also inform if any user manuals are available for this machine online or for sale.

I'm located in Mumbai, India and cannot find any help with this machine here.

Thanks

Hi Ritul

I'm not very familiar with the HB 500 & 575 lathes family, but I took a look in several brochures I have, and there are pictures on wich the tailstock is obviously adjustable (I mean adjustable the usual way, with the tailstock casting sliding laterally on its base and two set screws).

On their later models (HB-X 360), CAZENEUVE switched to monobloc tailstock castings. Therefore, the tailstock is not adjustable the usual way anymore. Instead, the center of the quill is 3mm lower than the centers line (of course, the quill bore is on the centers line !) and two set screws allow to slightly rotate the quill.

According to CAZENEUVE, this setup provides a better tailstock rigidity, whereas the quill's rotation allows a much more precise alignment of the centers than with the conventional method.

Hope this helps.

Hi,
I have a picture attached herewith(see the eighth machine from the top of the page), which shows the type of tailstock on the HB575 i'm refering.....
Is this the one you are refering to? From what you say, it seems that the bore in the quill is eccentric - then while adjusting, the centre will also move up & down alongwith sideways.

Confused!!

liste_machines.php

Ritul :

That's exactly what I meant. And if you take a closer look at the picture of your lathe, you'll see that the bore in the quill is eccentric.

Therefore, any adjustment will affect the centers height, but remember this system was NOT intended by CAZENEUVE for turning tapers, but ONLY and EXCLUSIVELY to compensate any minor misalignment between headstock and tailstock.

In their brochures, CAZENEUVE states that this way is ten times more sensitive than the usual way (where you slide the entire tailstock lateraly on its base) and makes for a much more rigid tailstock. They also say that taper turning belongs to taper attachments or hydraulic tracers (wich is or was, in fact, true).

Speaking of that, the aluminium casting under the apron on the machine suggest that it may be an HB 575 CA (cycled).

I have a late model HB500.

I can answer any questions you may have.

The tailstock quill is adjustable side to side with opposing fine thread allen screws on either side of the casting underneath the front end of the quill. They push on a key that slots the underside of the quill.

Hight is not adjustable. the talestock is scraped to be just over dead center. when the spindle cartridge warms up things rise into alignment.

In advance of adjusting the tailstock, there are a number of complex guaging opps. you need to make in settling and bolting down the lathe before you tweak the tailstock.

They have a prodigious instuction manual.

The year of your lathe may be important, also it's speed configuration. Tooling is a serious issue, as everything including the spindle nose is custom to Cazeneuve.

There are very few 575's in good shape Stateside, so make a good inspection of the machine.

I also know an old Frechie who has a fully tooled long 575 if you are interested.

Thanks for the info. I have just recieved the delivery of my HB575. The tailstock adjustment screws are visible.

I will be very grateful if you can manage a manual for me - either a hard or soft copy can do. I'm willing to pay for the cost.

Thanks
Ritul

Congratulations,

You can go to the Cazeneuve website and order a manual. I think that would be easier. I don’t think I can fax it or scan it without spending some much time.

There are also a few online machinery manual suppliers.

I would be happy to help with any technical particulars.

Precision leveling and bolting down is key, along with diameter cut comparisons between centers.
Check the oil pump and circulation before running the machine for any significant time.
New matched belts are a good idea, and the right oils where they spec it. Purge the saddle pump too.

good luck

I need guidelines for oil grades to be used in different places. I could locate 3 places where oil is to be filled - oil tank at the bottom, cross slide and saddle - are there any more? Which grade of oil is to be used at each place?

Thanks

for headstock and gear boxes Vacuum D.T.E. light
or Pebron T.U.I
for apron G.X. 140, or Antar Special E.
for saddle Vacuum Gargoyle 1409 or Pebron T.U.3
headstock and gearbox 8 litres (14 pints)
apron 1 litre (1.76 pints)
saddle and slide 0.8 litre (1.4 pints)

Page 40 of the manual (click on thumbnail):

Due to colour background the text underneath the picture does not scan:

TOLERANCE
The height of the tailstock is purposely greater (by 2 to 3/100 mm.) than the tolerance allowed by Salmon standards.

This is to compensate for the increase of the height of the spindle shaft resulting from heating of the headstock after the lathe has been running for a certain time.

In this way the horizontal alignment of the centres is maintained.

CENTERING
Centering is effected by means of two screws acting on the distance pieces (110 and 111). Before centering, make sure that the bed is perfectly level.

TAILSTOCK CLAMPING ADJUSTMENT
(This paragraph does not apply to model HB 725)
If the lever *(134) touches the bed without effectively clamping the tailstock down on the bed, raise the lever, tighten slightly, and also tighten the two nuts under the locking shoes.

Arno

575 hb

Hi,
I'm negotiating on a used Cazeneuve HB575 1500mm. On inspection, I've observed that the tailstock centre does not seem to be adjustable. Can anyone guide me if there is a way to adjust this? Also inform if any user manuals are available for this machine online or for sale.

I'm located in Mumbai, India and cannot find any help with this machine here.

Thanks
i just installed a 575x2000, i leveled it by putting a 2m straight edge across the apron and then used a topcon dumpy that is very accurate, with a tape measure sitting right and the end of the straight edge, result accurate turning
however I am have great trouble screwcutting, cannot sort the controls, the manual is not great . any help appreciated

i just installed a 575x2000, i leveled it by putting a 2m straight edge across the apron and then used a topcon dumpy that is very accurate, with a tape measure sitting right and the end of the straight edge, result accurate turning
however I am have great trouble screwcutting, cannot sort the controls, the manual is not great . any help appreciated

15 year old thread, prolly should start a new one!

2nd the starting a new thread.

I haven't done a lot of manual thread cutting in my life compared to many on PM, but I will say I was able to figure out and produce acceptable threads for parts that I couldn't do easily with my cnc lathe.
The data plates on your machine are the best bet for determining lever and change gear positions, as there were several different mm/in version of the basic machine that were produced. The manual although intended to support all isn't as detailed as would be expected

I really really would appreciate your help I've had the machine for 2 months now is it an hb-575 and I can't figure out how to screw cut it's all right on the even threads but on the odd threads I don't see a way of engaging the lead screw as there is no half nut I've tried reversing the carriage then going forwards again but it just split threads I'm desperate for help the manual tells you absolutely nothing it is an expensive thing with a lot of drawings but is useless as a instruction for a lathe user any help would be really appreciated thank you my address is [email protected]

Hers a pic of the thread dial on mine, don't see the one on yours evan after flipping your pic

Attachments

• 0309200845.jpg
    0309200845.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 95

Back