What's new
What's new

Colchester chipmaster questions

Wally318

Aluminum
Hello. Is this the right place to post re:Colchester lathes?
I'm just getting ready to move a Chipmaster into my shop.
In the manual it says to never use the lead/feed screw reversing
lever with the machine is running. I've seen a youtube video of
an owner instantly reversing the feed with the lever while running.
Any insight on that?
Secondly, there is a machined flat running the length of the back
of the bed casting. I know this was to mount a tracing attachment(parts)
Was it used for any other application?

While I'm not familiar with your Colchester lathe,I know that the acceptability of reversing the feedbox while it is rotating is largely dependent on its rpm which of course is related to spindle rpm and feed setting (fine vs coarse). If you hear gears grinding don't do it!
Standard Modern 1660 lathes reversed the feedbox with a lever for threading. However, above a certain rpm the drive key would shear from the resulting jolt.
Maybe post a video link so that we can see how this guy reversed the feedbox.

You run the risk off stripping a gear or the feedbelt. So easy to just stop and reverse and re- start...

The taper attachment is independent of the machined back on the bed. Don't know of anything other than the tracing attachment using it.

Btw- congrats on getting a Chippie- underrated lathe imho.

L7

...The Chipmaster is a very nice machine ,and far more rigid than the Student or Bantam models that it resembles.The whole feed gearbox mechanism is the same as the Bantam ,and these boxes were so often broken by students ,spares are impossible to find new or used.......edit ...only on some models,others are unique to the Chippie.

Back