What's new
What's new

Dean Smith & Grace problem disassembly the lead screw

FilippoMo

Plastic
The half nut no longer engages the lead screw and I am unable to thread on my lathe.I tried to disassemble but I cannot remove the lead screw.
Any suggestion on how to greatly appreciated
Filippo

While I am not familiar with your make of machine I don't think you need to remove the lead screw to solve this problem. There's something amiss in the lathe carriage that you should be checking.

If you can't get it apart to a shot at fixing it it, advice can only be live with it or scrap it. :) Why can you not remove the leadscrew? can you get it out of the gear box shaft (its pinned there)? hard to make suggestions without more detailed info. Normally, to get the the leadscrew off, take the right block off supporting the leadscrew, take out the pin that holds it to the gear box shaft and it should pull.

Thank you very much for your answers:We followed exactly the procedure as described by Mvgyver but the lead screw is stuck.We also followed the suggestion of 706jim and we could remove the whole apron and trying to figure out what went wrong with the half nut:there are some thread damaged but the problem is elsewhere.
Thank again
Filippo

you kind of have to get the leadscrew disconnected from the gearbox to remover the apron.

So the pin connecting the leadscrew to the gear box shaft is out, correct? you can move the carriage left/right and the lead screw stays put, correct? (i.e. the lead screw is not some how stuck in the apron).

If the above is true, and its put together like mine, I would fashion a slide hammer onto the right end, or even a clamp attached to the right right you tap with a hammer. Start with very little hits - when disassembling I've learned that hundred and hundreds of tiny hits works really well - as well as dozen major blows and doesn't destroy everything in the process. Then the leadscrew just slides out of the apron

you kind of have to get the leadscrew disconnected from the gearbox to remover the apron.

So the pin connecting the leadscrew to the gear box shaft is out, correct? you can move the carriage left/right and the lead screw stays put, correct? (i.e. the lead screw is not some how stuck in the apron).

If the above is true, and its put together like mine, I would fashion a slide hammer onto the right end, or even a clamp attached to the right right you tap with a hammer. Start with very little hits - when disassembling I've learned that hundred and hundreds of tiny hits works really well - as well as dozen major blows and doesn't destroy everything in the process. Then the leadscrew just slides out of the apron

WE could get the apron disassembled and I did find out what the problem is:the half nut grew in size and was locked solid in the apron mortise.I scraped the two halves and I am going to use the mortise as a master once I can slide them in.
We did attempt to make an extractor for the lead screw but we failed to remove it and it doesn't matter at this point in time.
Thank you
Filippo

Back