What's new
What's new

EMCO MAXIMAT COMPACT M3100 mark2 - need for parts or parts dimensions

pierrard

Plastic
Hello,
My apologies if this is not the right place for this post; the main thread doesn't mention the EMCO brand but I saw a few EMCO posts here and they share a few specs with the Schaublin (usage of W20 collets).

I recenlty acquired a used but clean Austrian lathe from a retired gentleman. He was a plumber and not a mechanic, so he did not have the complete set of accessories for his machine, which I am trying now to complete.

It is an EMCO MAXIMAT COMPACT M3100 mark2, but without the banjo arm (quadrant set) holding the 4 interchangeable gears to set the screw-cutting pitch. I am highly motivated to buy/build such accessory as I can't have proper pitch for screw cutting without it. It is currently equipped with a 2 speed pulley that allows for a fast removal of materials, and a finish pass, but no gearbox for threads. EMCO at the time (60s) had the MQ-3120 option for sale, but my lathe wasn't lucky to get that one.

Could one of you help me out by selling a spare, or providing diagrams allowing me to get one rebuilt?
Thanks in advance!

Laurent
PS: happy New Year from Switzerland!:cool:

Happy new year!
Perhaps if you include some pictures of your lathe, including some of the headstock where the missing banjo goes it might help. Somtmes the model number or name is different when sold in the USA or other markets. Good luck!

I am guessing as to your having seen this already. But if not...Emco Maximat Standard Mk. 2 & Mk. 3 Lathe

Scroll down and there is a picture of the banjo arm.

Looks like it would be a pretty easy build from flat stock. Take the dimension off the boss on the lathe where the arm fits, the distance to the adjuster quadrant as well, and it looks to me as if the long slot is centered on the main boss.

I see that Grizzly tools in the States is selling an apparent clone of the Emco Compact 11 under the name of being a "South Bend Heavy Ten". They show a set of gears as available accessories. Might be worth an inquiry as to the gear pitch and tooth counts of those, to see if they are compatible with your needs too.

I am guessing as to your having seen this already. But if not...Emco Maximat Standard Mk. 2 & Mk. 3 Lathe

Scroll down and there is a picture of the banjo arm.

Looks like it would be a pretty easy build from flat stock. Take the dimension off the boss on the lathe where the arm fits, the distance to the adjuster quadrant as well, and it looks to me as if the long slot is centered on the main boss.

I see that Grizzly tools in the States is selling an apparent clone of the Emco Compact 11 under the name of being a "South Bend Heavy Ten". They show a set of gears as available accessories. Might be worth an inquiry as to the gear pitch and tooth counts of those, to see if they are compatible with your needs too.

Many thanks!
Yes I have seen lathes.co.uk website, and that's how I found the reference to the quadrant part number.
I then got the scehamtic opf the part from a fine gentleman who manages to still get EMCO to dig in their archives and am currently trying to build the part froma flat stock (16mm wide, with a 42mm internal diameter hole to attach on the leadscrew fixing). Sorry english is not my native language.
I also just won an auction (yesterday) for a set of 7 gears which I will try to use to pass the rotation from the chuck's drive to the leadscrew using that quadrant.
When I manage to get it working, I'll post pictures, I promise :)
After that, it's "just" a matter of finding the right gears to get the right ratios to get the desired pitch.. I'll have FUN !!

Cheers
Laurent

Back