What's new
What's new

First manual lathe: Yam 550

rbmgf7

Aluminum
I posted here since my internet research has revealed this machine to be a Taiwanese Mori copy as a Mori subsidiary?

It's been about a decade since I worked on a manual lathe in the school workshop but now I'm in the market to purchase a small, manual lathe for the garage. Found this one down the road for a couple grand and it's perfect since it's small and short. I just need something to fart around on. Looks like its been freshened up with paint and looks to be in decent condition. Doesn't appear to have a chuck or tooling so I was wondering what's a decent all-around, general use chuck to start with? The seller might have a chuck but figure I could at least get a new one to start with since I have some extra money to spare. I'm not a whiz with lathes so not sure what works with what.

Also, any manuals floating around?

Thanks.

old PM thread on Yam suggests it is a good machine.
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general-archive/yam-engine-lathe-any-info-appreciated-72897/

Take the sellers chuck and try it out..It should come with the machine if he has one...so if Ok you might spend your bucks on a 4jaw. Good to ask a lot of questions and hope the seller is honest..can it run a 12" long +- .003 part between centers? is there any thing wrong with it? Most often best to buy a machine from the user so you can get answers and see it run..Good to have an idea what you intend to do with it so you can choose the right machine.

Back