What's new
What's new

Found a Cazeneuve HB 500

garcher

Aluminum
Ive found a HB 500 in a warehouse that a guy wants to sell.Machine apears to be in good shape as the ways are smooth and dont have any nicks.It has a 10'' cam lock mount 3 jaw chuck and an Aloris tool post. It has 18 spindle speeds 32-2500 RPM.I couldnt find a serial # only ( 666 T 87 ) stamped on the ways on the back of the machine.The machine is not under power.Feeds would move when engaged and rotating chuck by hand.Cross slide has less than .125'' backlash. Please tell me more about this brand machine and if they are worth buying.

Thanks ,Glenn

20150302_161958.jpgI have included a picture of the headstock of the machine.Does anyone know what size camlock it may be.The machine size is 500x1000.I didnt see a Model #. Where would it be on the machine? What are the numbers 666 87 stamped on the back of the ways?The guy is asking $1500.00 for the machine.I count read the HP of the motor due to the tag location but what I have read it is either 7.5 or 12 HP.Thanks for all your help.

Glenn

I ran one quite a bit several years ago. They are overall very good machines. The one I ran was rigid, smooth as hell and accurate. Had a good bit of snot as well. They are European, so, like most Europeans, they are a bit funky and take some getting used to. Different than most American lathes, but same quality I'd say as some of the top American makers. If it's not beat to hell I think it'll work out great. As far as spindle nose, the one I ran had an A series spindle, I forget what size.

Numbers on the backof the ways are most likely the serial number with 87being year built
Should be a 2nd set of numbers w letters

Great machines
Only downside is the most of them have no clutch
So you switch the motor on and off every time No problem if your powersupply can handle thay
That switch is not the originl one so perhaps there are some electrical changes

Peter from Holland

The Cazeneuve lathe is a masterpiece of design and execution. It is absolutely of "tool room" quality and if it is in good condition, $1,500 would be a steal. As far as I know, it came in 7hp and 12 models with varying spindle speed ranges. Having one that goes up to 2500 RPM would be extremely useful. Unless yours was a special order, the spindle nose is not a cam lock. It is a special Cazeneuve taper where the chuck mounts on a tapered spindle and then is drawn and locked into place with three, cone point set screws. The design was intended to keep the chuck as close to the headstock casting as possible to reduce overhang. I have have heard that at machine tool shows, no one with a similarly sized machine could take a heavier cut than the Caz. FWIW, I have one that came from HP's research labs and I would think that they could afford anything they wanted and selected this model. Good luck.

This one comes with the proprietary Caz mount, as can be seen from the pics. (radial hex holes)

Ole

Perhaps but a bit below I see what looks like a square hole for a camlock
Also it looks like a direct mount chuck and there are no direct mounted chucks with original Caseneuve spindle nose All use backplates

Peter from ho;;and

That's a cam lock. It will save you some money on backplates as the ones from Cazeneuve don't come cheap.

The "better picture" reveals a proper camlock fitting- Sorry! I was misled by the holes on the rear of the chuck proper as seen on the first pics.

Ole

Believe it or not it was only 15 miles from my home.Gotta get a bigger phase converter though.12 HP motor to big for my 10 HP converter.Anyone out there have a manual to scan?

Thanks, Glenn

Thanks for all the replies to my questions.Its nice to know knowledgeable
people take their time to answer questions and give advice on these machines.Im sure a will have more,again thank you.

Glenn

Back