What's new
What's new

Graziano 180 questions and English manual?

ztugdriver

Plastic
Hello everyone I just a got a SAG 180 and got her dialed in but Im new to lathe work and can't read Italian. I was able to locate the manuals for both the SAG 180 and 14 but they are vague at best to describe the parts and functions. Ive managed to turn a 5/8"-11 threads just messing around trying to figure out all of the controls.

My questions are does anyone have an English version of the manual for a SAG 180? Id like to know what the 5 position lever on the bottom right of the carriage is for. It sits on the feed rod. I also would like to know what the cam lever under the apron hand wheel is for. It has a cam lever and a thumb wheel. It doesn't say how to utilize the carriage stops in the manual but I have read on this forum that there are stops and adjustments.

If anyone has the time and knowledge and would like to share I'm all ears. I am willing to call and speak over the phone as this typing back and forth gets a bit irritating.

I really like doing lathe work and can't wait to get this thing figured out so thanks in advance for your help.

The five position lever on the feed rod is to set Z axis automatic feed stops. The "cam" lever under the feed direction selector is to set the resistance that the auto feed will kick out at, hence the adjustable spring. Lower setting is for heavier DOC and upper for lighter DOC.
I have the manual but I think it can be found somewhere on line. It would be a lot to scan.

Thank you for the reply. One more question why the 5 positions? I see the stops under the bed but probably a dumb question if I stared at it long enough.

Also thank you for the manuals and wow what an archive!

The Graziano could be used as a semi production machine. The five position stops could be set up so that a repetitive job would require less measuring. Not a turret lathe, but faster than measuring Z axis distances for every part.

If it makes you feel any better, I've never used these stops after running this machine on and off for nearly 40 years.

Thank you for the reply. One more question why the 5 positions? I see the stops under the bed but probably a dumb question if I stared at it long enough.

Also thank you for the manuals and wow what an archive!

With the lever in the lowest position it ignores all the stops.

I use the stops all the time, means I can walk away from the lathe knowing it's not going to hit the chuck when feeding the carriage

as stated above, the 1 to 4 positions correspond to the four cast dogs that have (or had) a bolt at the bottom to lock them to the smooth power feed stop rod. they can also be used as an adjustable stop when you are cranking the dial by hand.
nice to have even if you don't do repetitive work, as you can also set the stops to correlate to different chucks and set them to avoid a crash. (also as stated, the 0 position bypasses them).

they can get stuck in position on the rod with congealed coolant and swarf (some of mine were).

With the lever in the lowest position it ignores all the stops.

I use the stops all the time, means I can walk away from the lathe knowing it's not going to hit the chuck when feeding the carriage

I also use the stops. I did notice that most of the stop fingers had fractured/snapped off on my machine. I had to make up steel fingers and braze them on the collars.
At that point it worked fine except I began to realize the significance of the snapped off fingers. There is no interlock between the stops and lead screw feed so if you are threading make sure your leaver is in the bottom position disengaged. I will not go into the gory details.
I cannot emphasize that you get in the habit of leaving the lever in bottom position when not using the travel stop. Eventually you will do some threading and forget to check the position of that lever.
I also put tape on each finger to indicate its corresponding lever position.

this thread made me wonder why I don't use the stops more often, and well, locking and unlocking them with a ratchet is akward, and you have to stop and go get one, so I just made a dedicated 17MM T handled socket. I think I'll be using them more often now!

I also use the stops. I did notice that most of the stop fingers had fractured/snapped off on my machine. I had to make up steel fingers and braze them on the collars.
At that point it worked fine except I began to realize the significance of the snapped off fingers. There is no interlock between the stops and lead screw feed so if you are threading make sure your leaver is in the bottom position disengaged. I will not go into the gory details.
I cannot emphasize that you get in the habit of leaving the lever in bottom position when not using the travel stop. Eventually you will do some threading and forget to check the position of that lever.
I also put tape on each finger to indicate its corresponding lever position.

OR; make it a habit to store the stops at the right end of the rod, unless using them as the "anti-crash" stops which shouldn't cause a problem threading. a much better, more sure method.

Back