What's new
What's new

Graziano sag 12 clutch coil rewinder

Should be able to be done by any half-competent electrical business, I used someone who did motor rewinds, alternators, etc....wasn't out of the ordinary for them and around $180~200 iirc.

Did speak to Larry Norman about 7 or 8 years ago and Texasturnado contacted him a couple of years after that I think - so try your luck?

Over the years I have collected a few names etc for Sag 12 clutches:

Compilation of clutch repair options:
There has been quite a bit posted about these clutches over the years, with a few options for repair. Here is a sort of compilation, there could well be others.

-At least one PM member has had his clutches rebuilt by Larry Norman, San Jose, Ca (408) 946-8427.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...-sag-12-lathes-130517/?highlight=Larry+Norman

-Another member (swage2011) rewound his own clutch: Graziano Sag 12 Clutch Rewind and Potting

-There are 2x epic PM threads about Sag 12 transmission rebuilds, including the clutches. They are worth reading IMO because as well as the coils, they discuss the bearings and plates etc.

-First by Gizmowizard (see his website for transmission rebuild article): GizmoWizard

-The second by the late TexasTurnado starts at post #106: SAG 12 Restoration Progress

-A supplier of new clutches ( Keith Price, Australia, PM member “Archdale” in a 2010 PM thread): "I stock plates and complete clutches etc. including Graziano lathes. I stock in excess of 3 tonnes of clutch and brakes for most makes of machines ever made over the past 60 odd years from all around the world.
If I can help, just drop me a line" [email protected]

-A supplier of clutches and other Graziano parts (Italy): Ugo Montagano, e-mail: [email protected]
TOURS – LATHES - DREHMASCHINEN:
CMT – PADOVANI – EST TICINO – GRAZIANO – PBR – GRAZIOLI –
GORNATI – MERLI – NOSOTTI – PERNO – OMG ZANOLETTI - usw

Spare parts for Italian lathes.

Are you looking for spare parts for Italian tooling machines?
To receive soon an offer, specify:
· machine manufacturer
· machine model
· production year
· reference number or description of the spare part

Best Regards

Ugo Montagano
Corso Lodi 47
I - 20139 Milano
T +39 025469135
F +39 0294307647
[email protected]

-TexasTurnado reckoned the Sag 12 clutches were made by Baruffaldi

PM poster “elliot” from Italy wrote in 2007:
You will be able to find whichever spare parts for the lathes Graziano near: mechanical workshop Giunco Sergio 15050 Carbonara Scrivia (To) Genoa road n°14 phone:0131 892033. Mr. Giunco is a lot competent and his warehouse is a lot supplied. Unfortunately he doesn't speak English and he doesn't trade by Internet but he sends in all the world. Ciao

Last edited:
Larry Norman doesn't answer.

Impression I got, it was a home number - maybe vacation - hopefully nothing worse!

Ugo was quoting 400 Euro for one a fair while back. Barrafuldi, didn't give prices, don't have spare parts, but will repair.

Thanks all. I think I'm going to try and rewind the coil myself. If that doesn't work out I will source motor rebuilder. The late Texas Toranado had an excellent write up, but unfortunately all the photos are now blocked! All the bearings and plates in the gearbox are in very good condition, just a problem with clutches, the bad ones have zero or very little ohms. The good ones show 12 - 15. The Graziano is a very well made machine tool.

Larry Norman returned my phone call today. He is still doing the the clutches.

.The late Texas Toranado had an excellent write up, but unfortunately all the photos are now blocked!

Not true! I can still see TexasTurnado's photos (and not because i have paid them). You need the "thing" that allows you to see the photos in old threads. There have been one or two posts about this and there are several types, it depends on what browser you have.
I use Chrome and this works for me.

photobucket embed fix - Chrome Web Store I just noticed, it says: # NOTE: You may need to clear your browser cache (at least for images) before you will be able to see some images (if you already tried to view them before installing this).

Or Photobucket Embedded Image Fix - Chrome Web Store

(I have both, the latter one has a Firefox option too)

BTW, I don't think TT rewound his clutches (might be wrong), but see the other link I provided above, swage2011 rewound two of his clutches.

Larry told me best to contact him in the evening. I believe he lives in Calif.

I was able to rewind my 3 coils with new wire and epoxy. Working great now. Thanks to Swage 2011 on suggestions. Made the wooden spool to 3" diameter instead of 3.146. 3" fit the coil cylinder better. Made enough for all six coils, only replaced the 3 bad ones. The joystick rotary switch was acting up and maybe had effect on burning up coils? Haven't found a good source for replacement rotary switch, any suggestions? Replaced all the bearings in the gearbox also. My machine was made in 1966, some of the Italian bearings were not available in cross reference. Purchased ball bearings slightly undersized and sleeved them. Larry Norman is still rewinding coils, phone him in the evenings.

Dave

Last edited:

Back