Login to Your Account
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Country
    ISRAEL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Finally installed the handles and wheels back

I have finally installed the repaired wheels with the new handles.

I have cleaned (again) and painted with a permanent felt pen the scale numbers and lines.

Oiled it all and assembled.

I am pleased from the outcome but I have more work to do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chip_protector_back.jpg   taper_1.jpg   tail_stock.jpg   cariage_and_cross_slide_2.jpg   cariage_and_cross_slide_1.jpg  

Country
    ISRAEL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default continue with the handles saga...

After installing the wheels I have triad to reduce play as much as possible.

I have tightened the cross slide half nut but what ever I did I still got about 0.15mm play

Finally I found that it is not the half nut or shaft. Sahft and dial have almost ZERO play. Screw and half nut are also OK with minimal to not play..

So, I found that I have play between the half nut and the part that is connected with two Allen screws to the cross slide. I am not sure if it is wear on the half nut or that part that is connected to the cross slide. Any way this
    will fixed later on by making a new part.

The carriage and other are sliding nicely. Not perfect but good...

Thanks again to anyone that gave inputs and ideas..

will be continued..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails taper_2.jpg   cross_slide_play.jpg  

3. Likes Paolo_MD, ACHiPo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

.15mm (6 thousandths) backlash sounds pretty good to me.

Seeing the drawing was like ... oh yeah, that thing ...

Nice clean lathe, you evdone an amazing job. I should hire you to work on mine. Not much to see, but I put a picture up in the gunsmithing forum. I dont think you can see the oil leaks.

5. Likes ACHiPo liked this post
    Country
    ISRAEL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Dear .. its not backlash

Quote Originally Posted by wesg View Post
    .15mm (6 thousandths) backlash sounds pretty good to me.

Seeing the drawing was like ... oh yeah, that thing ...

Nice clean lathe, you evdone an amazing job. I should hire you to work on mine. Not much to see, but I put a picture up in the gunsmithing forum. I don't think you can see the oil leaks.

If it was backlash than its OK as you close the gap.. in my case its un controllable play that can cause the slide to move during machining and effect the surface ..

Need to actually test and see. I will definitely fix that later on.

Thanks for the warm comments

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Backlash is backlash. Play in 'something', so it won't precisely reverse. Unless I'm missing something.

You also *need* some small amount of clearance in the screw/nut to keep the oil from being wiped away. Allegedly.

Cutting forces are generally at a right angle so the cross slide shouldn't move because of play. I knew a guy that used a home made tracer consisting of a template mounted on the back of the bed, and a follower on the cross slide. The leadscrew was disconnected and the cross slide was pushed by hand to bear on the template for each pass. Depth of cut was done with the compound. Of course, he couldn't cut a reversing contour, but he didnt need to to reprofile rifle barrels. And he was running them at high RPM with carbide inserts, not a teeny shave with a HSS tool.

Pretty sure mine has some play in those parts too. I think so it can float up and down a bit. And not bind up when you tighten the halves up. I've run lathes where you can see the head of the retaining screw rock when you reverse it, and there's no issue. And not a junk machine (Monarch), other than being pre ww2 and worn out ;-)

8. Likes noamw liked this post
    Country
    ISRAEL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wesg View Post
    Backlash is backlash. Play in 'something', so it won't precisely reverse. Unless I'm missing something.

You also *need* some small amount of clearance in the screw/nut to keep the oil from being wiped away. Allegedly.

Cutting forces are generally at a right angle so the cross slide shouldn't move because of play. I knew a guy that used a home made tracer consisting of a template mounted on the back of the bed, and a follower on the cross slide. The leadscrew was disconnected and the cross slide was pushed by hand to bear on the template for each pass. Depth of cut was done with the compound. Of course, he couldn't cut a reversing contour, but he didnt need to to reprofile rifle barrels. And he was running them at high RPM with carbide inserts, not a teeny shave with a HSS tool.

Pretty sure mine has some play in those parts too. I think so it can float up and down a bit. And not bind up when you tighten the halves up. I've run lathes where you can see the head of the retaining screw rock when you reverse it, and there's no issue. And not a junk machine (Monarch), other than being pre ww2 and worn out ;-)

In general you are correct but any play leads to vibrations and vibrations leads to bad surface.

I have used another cutting tool and got a better finish. So the play is not so horrible but I will handle that later on.

I need to repair the oil leak, gear box handles/leaver, prepare a carriage stop and more...

Thanks for your insight.