What's new
What's new

Graziano sag 12s about a 1984, need schematic help please!

electricmuddog

Plastic
I'm in North. Ca. Santa cruz, would like talk, look, or have a manual for this lathe with Revees vari-drive and modern (not ceramic) fuses. While it similar to sag 12 diagram it not close enough. I read there are Graziano owners in Redwood City, Would like to talk to you all. I have been repairing machine tool controls for 20 years...... May be I can help you too.....Elmud

Knowing the frustration, I'll give you a bump.

I understand it's a bit forward, but maybe a personal message to the people concerned.....with luck, their profile might even has an email.....if they don't frequent here.

Graziano SAG 12S Manual and mystery parts

Hello All

I am new to this site and a recent Graziano SAG 12S owner. I am also searching for a copy of the 12S manual and thought that I would bump this thread up. To date I have been able to use the older SAG12 manual to figure some of the mechanical areas of the lathe but there are significant differences in many areas. Was anyone able to track down a SAG12S manual? So far I have contacted Tony from lathes.co.uk and Ugo Montagno, a parts dealer in Italy without luck.

Also, I have attached a photo of what I think is an extension to the spindle on my lathe. Does anyone know if this is a stock piece? The bore of this is 1.375" whereas the bore through the rest of the spindle is 1.625" You can see the step inside the bore in one photo. This "extension" has spanner holes (one well worn) and a set screw which makes it look like it comes off...but it doesn't move! Lastly, does anyone know what the sensor above the spindle is doing? It is above a gear that doesn't engage anything. I need a manual!

Thanks for your help and I will share anything that is learned.

Aaron S.

Attachments

• IMG_2927.jpg
    IMG_2927.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_2932.jpg
    IMG_2932.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_2933.jpg
    IMG_2933.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 129
  • step.jpg
    step.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 130
Thank you for the tip Charles. Unfortunately, they only have the sales brochure for download. I will find a copy of the full manual and make sure that it is shared with all. Hope you are well.

Aa.S.

Thank you for the tip Charles. Unfortunately, they only have the sales brochure for download. I will find a copy of the full manual and make sure that it is shared with all. Hope you are well.

Aa.S.

Not really, there are actually 6 SAG documents for download which include a SAG12 manual and some other documents. I actually downloaded the manual (to see if it works). If you click on the documents (e.g the manual), it refers you to https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=547F...D561F!3029&parId=547FE296ECFD561F!164&o=OneUp

Charles

Hello Charles

Thanks again but the manuals they have all refer to an older model. The "S" after the 12 is very important for my situation. I will let you know what I find.

Aa.S.

Hello All

I just copied a manual for a SAG 12S and forwarded that to that French site
So shortly there is a manual for the SAG 12S available
Every manual in PDF I make I forward that to that French forum so we get a big database of manuals
It helped me out a couple of times So its no more as decent to help him too

The e-mail adres of Laurant, the person involved,is '[email protected]'
I have his permission to mention his e-mail here

Peter

THANK YOU PETER! I really appreciate your help and kudos to Laurant for compiling all of the info. Hope all is well.

Aaron S.
USA

Peter & Laurant,

Thanks very much for scanning the 12S manual and for making it available. I have always wanted to see what was inside the transmission on the 12S.

I see Laurant now has a SAG 12 brochure (dépliant), the first I have seen. It is interesting because it seems to show an early model of the SAG 12. The electrical control box behind the headstock is not like the type commonly seen on this forum. I think the transmission is slightly different too, e.g. the oil pump/filter must be in a different location (or perhaps it doesn't have a transmission oil pump).

If anyone has a brochure for a SAG 12 and a SAG 14, please let us see them :) (there is a SAG 14 brochure on the internet but it is so low resolution it is almost useless).

Hello All

I am new to this site and a recent Graziano SAG 12S owner. I am also searching for a copy of the 12S manual and thought that I would bump this thread up. To date I have been able to use the older SAG12 manual to figure some of the mechanical areas of the lathe but there are significant differences in many areas. Was anyone able to track down a SAG12S manual? So far I have contacted Tony from lathes.co.uk and Ugo Montagno, a parts dealer in Italy without luck.

Also, I have attached a photo of what I think is an extension to the spindle on my lathe. Does anyone know if this is a stock piece? The bore of this is 1.375" whereas the bore through the rest of the spindle is 1.625" You can see the step inside the bore in one photo. This "extension" has spanner holes (one well worn) and a set screw which makes it look like it comes off...but it doesn't move! Lastly, does anyone know what the sensor above the spindle is doing? It is above a gear that doesn't engage anything. I need a manual!

Thanks for your help and I will share anything that is learned.

Aaron S.

Aaron,
I don't know what the extension is on your spindle, but I have attached a photo of a SAG 12 spindle so you can see the thread on the end.

I guess the gear is acting as an encoder (i.e. for the sensor to count the teeth) perhaps for a spindle rpm readout or as part of the electrical circuit indicating motion, speed or direction? Just guessing, but I have seen sprockets used for the same purpose.

I have just checked a 12S brochure and it seems to show a much smaller encoder? in the same location.

The oil filler for the headstock looks to have been modified too, some kind of stand-off or mount, maybe for the cover?

BTW, I don't own a SAG 12S, so just speculating.

Attachments

• Graziano SAG 12 spindle end 01.jpg
    Graziano SAG 12 spindle end 01.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 116
  • graz4 edit.jpg
    graz4 edit.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 101
Thank you for your thoughts Peter. I think that you right about the sensor and sprocket. And, the sprocket on my machine is very different to the one in the manual...we will see what that means. The machine ran OK when I went to buy.

The threads on the spindle end show that my extension is removable...thanks. I built a removal tool and it broke. It may be a left hand thread. I will let people know when I find out.

Attached are images of the feedbox open. There was a leak at the bottom edge and the oil was old. While I am in would anyone like a specific photo or dimension?

Aaron S.

Attachments

• leak.jpg
    leak.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 99
  • feedbox_open.jpg
    feedbox_open.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 164
  • feedbox_cover.jpg
    feedbox_cover.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 113
  • feedbox_open2.jpg
    feedbox_open2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 182
The threads on the spindle end show that my extension is removable...thanks. I built a removal tool and it broke. It may be a left hand thread. I will let people know when I find out. Aaron S.

Aaron,
I checked the SAG 12, the spindle end thread is RH, M52 x 1.5mm.

Attachments

• Graziano SAG 12 spindle end 02.jpg
    Graziano SAG 12 spindle end 02.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 86
The extension is for a Royal hand lever collet closer. A hardened toothed ring mounts on the end.

The extension on the oil filler is probably used to mount the anchor for the collet closer outside the housing. Mine has something similar with a square plate with 4 holes for the anchor bracket.

Mine also leaks at the change box cover, but I haven't the courage to pull it off for fear of never getting the shift forks realigned. Nice to see photo's, much better than the diagrams in the manual.

Back