What's new
What's new

Graziano SAG 14 Manual, New owner advice?

otto_pjm

Plastic
Hello,

My first real machine will be coming home in a week or so, would anyone have a scanned or PDF manual for a 50s ish SAG 14? I very excited about the lathe and have checked out it's history etc on lathes.UK. I hope to get a 5c nose or collect adaptor for it. It comes with 3 and 4 jaw chucks, both 10" which need cleaning up, and that's about it. I'd love to get a steady rest for it too, are such things ever on eBay? I see a local 7.5 HP rotary phase converter, which I think so be more than I need, but any advice is welcome. It's going in the garage, I'm an IT guy that likes to play with machines, in my spare time.

Thanks
Pete

Pete,

The Sag 14 is a great lathe, a very reliable machine.

Would be great to see any photos when you get a chance.

You can download a manual from this excellent web site. Near the top of the page, look for "Graziano SAG 14 manuel", clicking on this phrase will take you to the list of downloads. It is a 14.2 MB pdf.

Graziano SAG 14 (+ 17)

Main page for documents and manuals: Machines Outils: Manuels & Docs

Peter,

Fantastic thank you so much. I don't have the lathe yet, but it looks like this sitting at the dealer

gra3.JPG

gra4.JPG

Pete,

Thanks for the photos. I notice the slideway guards are missing in the area under the chuck. Maybe the seller removed them while cleaning? They are fairly important, fortunately they wouldn't be too hard to make. They are made from sheetmetal.

Let me know if you need a drawing.

Here are the guards on a Sag 12.

Graziano SAG 12 way covers.jpg

I wonder what happened to the toolpost, maybe in the tray with the other parts?

Peter,

Thanks, I'll let you know, if I need a drawing. There's no tool post, steady rest or follow rest unfortunately, just a 3 and 4 jaw chuck, plus the single axis DRO, 706Jim it was about $3000. I'm thinking about an import 40 position spline based tool post for it. I'm going to see if the dealer can come up with a spanner wrench for the nose, are they hard to find? What do people do for chip backslashes, I haven't seen any in the images and video I've seen?

Pete

Update I finally got the lathe home. I have a 10 HP VFD to power it, and I believe I have sorted out the oils I need to keeps it going. I'll get some pictures posted soon.

Questions:
Do I need a special type of oiler for the little button type oil ports on the lathe, I'm looking at Goldenrod piston pump oil can will that do it?
Are tool posts for 10-18 inch swing the most appropriate?
For tooling 1 inch holders? I see an auction coming with a lot of 1" and 1 1/4" tool holders on offer.
Anyone have a favorite dial setup for the cross feed? It came with a DRO for the Z axis so I'm good there.
I plan to the have it back up against a wall, but notice the chip pan come off on the back side, I can make a hoe like device for chip removal, will that be sufficient or should I try and spin the lathe around? It's a hobby thing right now, so I don't t anticipate mountains of chips in the near term
I have the full set of carriage stops, how often do you guys use them? Are they usable for shoulder stops and threading stops? They seem incredibly handy.

Thanks
Pete

A goldenrod piston pump works well with Vactra #2 on my Sag 12.

Don Clement

Thanks Don, I have one on the way.

I now have the lathe powered up, via the VFD. I have a tool post, and a few holders coming, and most importantly a gas line being trenched in, so I'll have heat. I haven't done much cleaning yet, there are some dings on the ways and leading edge of the compound and the chuckling the lathe has been well used, but everything seems solid. The 3 jaw chuck is a Buck 230mm or 9+ inches and appears to be truable I'm not sure who makes the 4 jaw it is 10" and has plenty of dings but seems to operate just fine.
I tried to get picture's of all these things. I also investigated the front way covers which I think have been gone for quite awhile, the holes were all packed with crap and a few of the bolts are snapped off. I guess I'll get to try out my left hand drill bits.

Pete

P_20141008_222015.jpg
P_20141008_222040.jpg
P_20141008_222127.jpg
P_20141008_222413.jpg

The goldenrod oiler works well for me on my SAG 12 unmodified however, if the goldenrod oiler doesn't work well for your lathe here is a modification that helps. I add a piece of Tygon tubing to the end of the oiler spout. This worked on my Chi.com lathe.

Don Clement

The goldenrod oiler works well for me on my SAG 12 unmodified however, if the goldenrod oiler doesn't work well for your lathe here is a modification that helps. I add a piece of Tygon tubing to the end of the oiler spout. This worked on my Chi.com lathe.

Don Clement

Thanks Don, I have 1 oiler that is bigger, and I can't get it too work so I'll try some tubing.

Pete

Questions:

I plan to the have it back up against a wall, but notice the chip pan come off on the back side, I can make a hoe like device for chip removal, will that be sufficient or should I try and spin the lathe around? It's a hobby thing right now, so I don't t anticipate mountains of chips in the near term
I have the full set of carriage stops, how often do you guys use them? Are they usable for shoulder stops and threading stops? They seem incredibly handy.

Thanks
Pete

Pete,

I have my SAG 14 backed up to a wall and I haven't had any issues cleaning out the chip pan from the front.

I have used the carriage stops on occasion but they don't seem to be really precise enough to trust them for consistent machining to a shoulder. I also find them a bit cumbersome to set up.

If you plan to use a coolant system, I would highly recommend constructing a back splash shield and install a chuck guard. Otherwise, you will have coolant/cutting oil all over your wall, ceiling, floor and yourself.

You asked about buying accessories such as steady and follow rests on eBay. I have been watching eBay for Graziano accessories for several years and have never seen anything for these lathes. I purchased both a steady and follow rest on eBay that were for different lathes and machined adapters for them to work on mine.

If you're interested in seeing what I've done for accessories and a back splash shield, I can post pictures.

Enjoy your new purchase. They're a great machine.

Ted

Questions:
Are tool posts for 10-18 inch swing the most appropriate?
For tooling 1 inch holders? I see an auction coming with a lot of 1" and 1 1/4" tool holders on offer.

You may have a problem with 1" tools being above the spindle centerline, depending on the toolpost you end up buying. I would go with 3/4".

Placement of the chip pan is dumb if you put the machine up against a wall. The machine balances perfectly just under the chuck allowing one to move at around using a simple automotive floor jack. But not with the chip pan in place.

Using my machine only on occasion, I just left the chip pan off. If you use coolant you should install it. With carbide tools, you won't really need coolant anyway; mostly for drilling with HSS.

The shoulder stops wouldn't work for threading. One technique that works well with the clutch driven Sag 14 is just to leave the half nut engaged and reverse the spindle after backing the tool out of the cut when threading. I've used the method for several years with great results.

A safety chuck cover helps a lot in controlling oil spatter from the chuck. I'll try to post a picture next time I'm at home.

SAG 14 manual

I have a SAG 14 and an excellent PDF copy of the manual. It's a slightly different edition from the one referenced above, but in color and with a lot of my Acrobat markups (they're editable). PM me and I can shoot a copy over to you.

And say, if you decide to make a front-unloading chip pan, I'll take your old one, as my lathe doesn't have one.

So, Have you fired it up yet?
The ABSOLUTE FIRST THING you MUST do is make sure the motor rotates the correct direction.
The oil pump will not run backwards. If you open the large cover on the left end of the machine, the upper belt sheave will have a directional arrow on it.

Hope you have many years of great times with this machine. My -17 is a wonderful machine!
cheers!
Chris

Pete,

The Sag 14 is a great lathe, a very reliable machine.

Would be great to see any photos when you get a chance.

You can download a manual from this excellent web site. Near the top of the page, look for "Graziano SAG 14 manuel", clicking on this phrase will take you to the list of downloads. It is a 14.2 MB pdf.

Graziano SAG 14 (+ 17)

Main page for documents and manuals: Machines Outils: Manuels & Docs

Can someone confirm that the "Graziano SAG 14 manuel" link Still works for them? It doesn’t for me.

Back