What's new
What's new

Graziano Sag 180 TDI

ztugdriver

Plastic
I could use some help with a project. I was given a Sag 180 and surprising its in fair condition. Got a VFD to run the 3 phase motor on single phase. I fixed a bunch of leaks on the apron and gear box so Im feeling kinda good about the whole deal. It didn't come with any attachments like steady rest or thread dial indicator. Just for giggles I wanted to make one. Ive already threaded a bunch of things for fun and know you don't really need one but Id like to do something. I was hoping that someone out there with one could give me some measurements of the gear on the TDI. I also could use some clarification on my lead screw. It says clearly on the machine and manual its a 3/8 pitch lead screw but I can't find any info online about such a screw. I was trying to make a gear for the TDI but couldn't figure out the threads per inch for that screw. Is it metric or am I missing something.
I read on another post about this same issue and saw that someone posted pictures but when I tried to PM him I didn't get a response as the posting was kinda old. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• 60204525398__20C611A4-56A5-4EC9-8B8E-F55C5AFDAE11.jpg
    60204525398__20C611A4-56A5-4EC9-8B8E-F55C5AFDAE11.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 110
Here are some photos of a Sag 14 thread dial. I thought they may have been posted here before, but I can't find them now.

I can take some dimensions if required.

Regarding the lead screw, it is 3/8" or 0.375" or 9.52mm pitch. I suppose this means it is 1 / .375" = 2.666 TPI...not sure if that helps at all.

The bronze gear has 16 teeth.

sag 14 thread dial 01.jpg sag 14 thread dial 02.jpg sag 14 thread dial 03.jpg
sag 14 thread dial 04.jpg sag 14 thread dial 05.jpg

Thank you for responding. I did find those pics and they helped with getting started on the gear but pretty hard to scale. Now that you clarified the feed screw for me I can look for gear dimension online. If you wouldn't mind could I get the diameter of the gear. I have begun making one from scratch and its coming along. Having the actual size would let me know Im headed in the right direction. Thanks again for helping.

Graziano SAG 180 Thread dial indicator build

Ive spent the last hour looking for a feed screw or gear to match the screw on my lathe. What the hell kind of screw is this thing. I know it doesn't really matter but it bothers me when I can't figure it out. I guess its a 1 3/8" x .375 acme thread? Im gonna go finish filing my gear my brain is sore.

Last edited:
Well here is the TDI I made for my lathe. I’ve seen a bunch of people asking about them so I figured I would post this. I originally wanted help with the measurements but pushed thru with it and made something that works. I’ve included some pics but if anyone needs real dimensions I would be willing to share them. I must say it’s not the prettiest thing but for a quick project ( one day ) it’s not too shabby. I hope this helps someone.

Attachments

• IMG_2159.jpg
    IMG_2159.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2160.jpg
    IMG_2160.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2161.jpg
    IMG_2161.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2162.jpg
    IMG_2162.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2163.jpg
    IMG_2163.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 56
I dismantled my threading dial and made a few sketches, maybe useful for others one day.

I discovered a lube point I didn't know about (it was covered in grime). There is an oil fitting on the end of the graduated spindle.

Sag 14 thread dial gear red.jpg Sag 14 thread dial pedestal red.jpg Sag 14 thread dial spindle red.jpg Sag 14 thread dial body red.jpg

Thank you very much for all the work. Im currently trying to post pics of the one I made. I will use your pics to fine tune my TDI.

ztugdriver,

Notice how the original gear teeth are slightly helical.

I am guessing the teeth are an involute form, but I know very little about gears!

A worm wheel of unusual proportions?

A plastic gear would probably do the job too. No chance of harming the lead screw.

I did see that they were helical but I didn't make mine that way as I just wanted to see if I even could fashion a gear out of thin air. Kind of a waste of time but Im going to make a new one with your dimensions out of brass.Finding a gear to mesh with our lead screw is impossible. I can't even find any numbers on our lead screw online. I hope I never need a replacement.

Back