What's new
What's new

Habegger DLZF/DLZTE gearbox removal

basiecally

Plastic
Hello!

First post here, hope I'm asking in the right section.

I've been taking a Habegger DLZTE lathe apart for the last month with the intent of repainting and restoring it as well I can. Rebuilding will be a later issue. It has some wear in the ways.

I've been trying to get the gear box off of the bed for two weeks now. I've removed every fastener I can find, Including the large castle nut for the lead screw bearing, thinking that it was somehow squeezing the different layers of the gear box together. By taking pictures from inside the rear foot of the lathe I've established that there is at least two more screws that I haven't gotten out out but in order to get at the head of those I need to remove the housing for the change wheels.

I can't see any more socket heads in the screw holes. The casting flexes very slightly when I try to pry it apart with my fingers but only at the top. The bottom is rock solid. I'm afraid I'll crack the casting if I got at it any harder and that I've missed a fastener somewhere.

Is there anyone with experience of these lathes out there? It shares a gear box with the DLZF.

Best regards
Karl

Hello,
I have the same lathe i think, for removing the gear box, you have to remove the cover with the gears
There are 2 hidden screws behind, the other ones are visible
After removing this cover, i drilled 2 extra holes in that cover so i can remove the whole gear box complete without removing that cover
If you want, i can take some pictures tomorrow with the exact position
See picture, 2 extra holes not drilled yet
Is it the same gear box?
Do you have a picture of yours?

Attachments

• mijn habegger 009.jpg
    mijn habegger 009.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0291.jpg
    IMG_0291.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0289.jpg
    IMG_0289.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0288.jpg
    IMG_0288.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 113
Hello,
I have the same lathe i think, for removing the gear box, you have to remove the cover with the gears
There are 2 hidden screws behind, the other ones are visible
After removing this cover, i drilled 2 extra holes in that cover so i can remove the whole gear box complete without removing that cover
If you want, i can take some pictures tomorrow with the exact position
See picture, 2 extra holes not drilled yet
Is it the same gear box?
Do you have a picture of yours?

Wow, I completely forgot I aked this question here! I found this post by searching for images of my lathe :).

Yes, it looks about the same but you have the DLZF version with the back geared headstock by the looks of it. I opted for not taking the actual gearbox apart but I got it off! I'll post some Pictures later. Thank you for helping out!

Could you post some Pictures of the apron of your lathe as well? I repaired the feed selection lever on mine and I haven't been able to find a Picture of one that has the same arrangement as mine. It's a bit complicated with two concentric cams and return springs. And it sticks a bit too much for my Comfort. Have you had your apron apart?

Regards
Karl

Back