Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    MEXICO
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Help evaluating Polamco FAC TUR 63A LATHE

I have been looking for a big lathe for a long time. I finally found one that I am about to make a deal with, but I would like to hear comments from experienced people about this lathe. It is a FAC TUR-63A.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img-20190406-wa0001.jpg   img-20190406-wa0005.jpg   img-20190406-wa0003.jpg   img-20190406-wa0004.jpg   img-20190406-wa0006.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know nothing about the make, but at least they did a nice job on the repaint. The pan looks a little ratty, but as long as it doesn't have holes and allows leaks, who cares.

Have you run it? Does it sound good, or are there click/bangs/rattles as it operates? What price USD? This machine is asking $12K, but didn't sell at auction for $4K on another listing I found.

Toolmex TUR 63A Engine Lathe | eBay

Country
    MEXICO
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am trying to post a video I have from this machine but I have not been able to upload it yet. What is the best way to post a video? I would like other people to hear the lathe running

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gibarra View Post
    I am trying to post a video I have from this machine but I have not been able to upload it yet. What is the best way to post a video? I would like other people to hear the lathe running
    Upload it to youtube then link it here

5. Likes michiganbuck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Polish machines are pretty decent in my experience. However I'm always wary regarding machines that have been newly repainted, even if they've done a good job. I'd need to run it before I put my hand in my pocket.

I've worked on the smaller Polamco lathes and the bigger Poreba machines and they were OK. Not the best lathes in the World but not the worst either.

Regards Tyrone.

Country
    MEXICO
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Second Video

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10MM...ew?usp=sharing
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon73 View Post
    Upload it to youtube then link it here

I am going to upload two videos. I am going to refer to them as First and Second which is the order I got them.
    I received the second one after I asked the vendor to send me one with more time running on each speed and where the carriage run all across the length of the lathe. There is a "rattle noise" I am hearing. I want your opinion.

This is the First Video I received from the vendor
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NYk...ew?usp=sharing

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I watched both videos, and was disappointed by the plot, the acting, and the lack of special effects. I give them two out a possible ten tomatoes. In fairness, the sequel was a little faster-paced, that made it more tolerable.

Hope some others will check them out too. I didn't hear anything objectionable, and the low-res view of the ways didn't show me anything scary. It does seem like one of the screw-in handles for the Z and X hand wheels is missing, but that's not hard to replace.

I still think it's overpriced, but without a better idea of what the market is like I can't say anything concrete. If it meets your needs and budget, then take the time to visit the site and check it more thoroughly yourself, including the condition of the spindle bearings end play.

Country
    MEXICO
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for comments Milland!
    You didn't notice ... The first video has the handle that is missing on the second video. I think they removed it after I asked the to send me a video showing the carriage moving all along the ways. My guess is they didn't want me to send the back latch that that can be seen in the first video.
    You mentioned something about the noise on the spindle maybe a bad bearing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sounds normal for a used lathe to me. The spindle brake needs adjusting, it should be stopping quicker than that in my opinion. The rattle you refer to is possibly/probably the gear train that connects the spindle to the feed box, it is a bit noisy but lots of lathe are like that and a bit of lubricant will help there. The cross feed wheel handle will have been removed to stop it getting in your overalls pocket and dragging you to your knees when you get too near the saddle. Don't ask me how I know that !

I can't say about the price.

Regards Tyrone.