What's new
What's new

Hitachi mill -- anybody?

shaggy

Hot Rolled
Hi everyone. Dunno if this is the right place for this, but I couldn't see anywhere else.

This bad boy came up on my local CL for $2k plus $500 to move it (pics below).

What's the likelihood it could be put to use in a home shop? I'm guessing the power requirements might make it a non-starter, and weight could be another issue. Sure looks good and rigid, which is why I'm even interested. What would be the spindle taper? Any comments (maybe, 'run away, fast'?) welcome.

--thanks
Dave

Attachments

• 00U0U_jaiiqhhrhCI_1200x900.jpg
    00U0U_jaiiqhhrhCI_1200x900.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 243
  • 00B0B_8MhJWplyxos_1200x900.jpg
    00B0B_8MhJWplyxos_1200x900.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 246
Looks like a universal mill (that’s good!).
Comes with tooling?
Did you get info on condition, tooling, problems, voltage?
Probably 40 taper or possibly 50 taper, both of which have lots of tooling available.
Looks like a stout machine.
I’d love to get something like that if I had space snd money!

Seller should be able to give uou pictures showing voltage(s) and power requirements.
Undoubtedly 3 phase (generally easily solved), probably 5 or more horsepower, plus whatever size that axis drivetrain motor is.

Just my opinion, but unless it's in perfect working order, $2K is far too much. In general, a machine like that isn't worth a lot more than scrap unless it's plug-in ready. Add in that it's sitting outside unprotected...

Especially with the cost to move it, I'd not offer over $1K all-up.

Seller should be able to give uou pictures showing voltage(s) and power requirements.
Undoubtedly 3 phase (generally easily solved), probably 5 or more horsepower, plus whatever size that axis drivetrain motor is.

Appreciate the feedback. There's no real info in the ad. I've asked the seller for more, in the meantime just thought I'd try and get a gut reaction or two.

--thanks!

Just my opinion, but unless it's in perfect working order, $2K is far too much. In general, a machine like that isn't worth a lot more than scrap unless it's plug-in ready. Add in that it's sitting outside unprotected...

Especially with the cost to move it, I'd not offer over $1K all-up.

Thanks, that's sort of what I suspected. Probably hell to find parts for, too.

I'll see if I can find out more, just out of curiosity.

--cheers

Doesn't appear to have a quill, which would be frustrating if it was your only mill. What's visible looks decent, probably 50 taper, a dealer would ask well over $2K for a 50 taper universal in usable condition. It appears to be chained to a rollback during transport. One chain is on the cover around the Z axis screw, which is not a sign of a knowledgeable rigger.

Doesn't appear to have a quill, which would be frustrating if it was your only mill. What's visible looks decent, probably 50 taper, a dealer would ask well over $2K for a 50 taper universal in usable condition. It appears to be chained to a rollback during transport.

No quill?
I was wondering what that oddball looking drawbar was on the vertical head. Looks cobbled together.

One chain is on the cover around the Z axis screw, which is not a sign of a knowledgeable rigger.

Yeah, I noticed that as well.
Not a good idea for rigging, especially with chain binders and not a good sign.

Possibly wasn't set up like that to travel very far. The 500- to move was in part because it was already on the trailer. If going to check it out, the tie-downs could be rectified. But it's more mill than I need, for sure.
Lack of a quill doesn't worry me too much. I'm actually looking for more rigidity (than say a BP) in a manageable-sized mill -- tho' this sure ain't that :)

There is a free (if you move it) Kearney & trecker K #3 at treasure island at the moment. Guy is moving out and is a friend of mine. Around 8-9k weight vertical only 50 taper mill. From the old navel base there. Supposed to be working contact me via PM if interested

There is a free (if you move it) Kearney & trecker K #3 at treasure island at the moment. Guy is moving out and is a friend of mine. Around 8-9k weight vertical only 50 taper mill. From the old navel base there. Supposed to be working contact me via PM if interested

Thanks for the heads-up. 8-9k lbs?! In another universe, I'd be on that like nobody's business :(

Attachments

• 00U0U_jaiiqhhrhCI_1200x900.jpg
    00U0U_jaiiqhhrhCI_1200x900.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 00C0C_GwjyGvjul3_1200x900.jpg
    00C0C_GwjyGvjul3_1200x900.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 00n0n_58JyFcToiLU_1200x900.jpg
    00n0n_58JyFcToiLU_1200x900.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 00B0B_8MhJWplyxos_1200x900.jpg
    00B0B_8MhJWplyxos_1200x900.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 00M0M_6AdxIRxM368_1200x900.jpg
    00M0M_6AdxIRxM368_1200x900.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 74
I think it's a great buy. $2500 is not a smoke'n deal, but you certainly did not get burned on the deal. You paid market price. Having said that, it looks like a great machine. No real signs of abuse or weathering. Probably could use a proper and thorough cleaning and adjustment. Clean out the oil reservoir real well, flush lines and lubrication system, and carefully stone the ways to trim away any high spots and snug-up the gibs.. you'll be good to go. And to answer your question, Yes.. This will make a fantastic addition to your home shop. It may be a little on the big side for a home shop, but you will be pleased when you need to machine something that needs some power and rigidity.. You will need to get a phase converter if you don't already have 3-phase power, and you can save some $$ if you build one as opposed to buying one.. Let me know if you have any questions on that front, I just went through the process in the past 6 months..

I also may have purchased a horizontal mill that MAAYY be a little on the big side, so I feel your stress!! :willy_nilly:

QCPcC0Fh.jpg

cm0LG3mh.jpg

Thanks for your post, but actually, I didn't end up buying that Hitachi (though I did alert another member to it, but heard no more after that). The machine was bigger than I had room for, and had a feww too many unknowns (to me).

The VN #12 I bought instead is a sight more manageable and fulfils my needs better, being smaller though far more rigid than a BP, and just as flexible in it's own way. I did get into the whole rotary phase converter thing, and have had reasonable success so far. Still working on that, and a fair bit of other stuff on the VN.

Your Cincinnatti looks like an awesome machine. I wish I had the space and resources to run something that size, but reality is what it is.

--cheers
Dave

Back