What's new
What's new

How to repair Ramco Chinese lathe carriage

skipjackbill

Plastic
I have a Ramco Chinese lathe that has a feed problem in the apron that I think can be fixed if I can get inside the apron . I am just not sure of what this entails, would like an idea of what I am getting into. Any help would be appreciated

I have a Ramco Chinese lathe that has a feed problem in the apron that I think can be fixed if I can get inside the apron . I am just not sure of what this entails, would like an idea of what I am getting into. Any help would be appreciated

Could be Taiwanese?

https://www.sterlingmachinery.com/media/brochures1/file/ramco-general-brochure.pdf

Or a maker - or just a distributor - in India:

Precision Lathe Machine - Ramco Machine International

Aprons are fastened to the carriage saddle in much the same way, most any manual lathe.

Any and all PM threads about apron repairs - any brand - can contribute SOME useful information.

A couple pictures would help us help you :)

Typically you remove the bearing block for the lead screw/feed rod / fed/rev lever and then pull these three shaft( usually pinned on the headstock side)
You then drop the apron by removing 4 cap screws from the top of the carriage.

This all assumes that you have a typical engine lathe, I have no idea what your lathe is and a google search didn’t help narrow it down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I
A couple pictures would help us help you :)

Typically you remove the bearing block for the lead screw/feed rod / fed/rev lever and then pull these three shaft( usually pinned on the headstock side)
You then drop the apron by removing 4 cap screws from the top of the carriage.

This all assumes that you have a typical engine lathe, I have no idea what your lathe is and a google search didn’t help narrow it down

I will post pictures . Looking closely I thought that removing the feed screw and the other shafts would have happen. Thought that the carriage needed to be removed but the shafts makes more since.

here is the pictures of my lathe thanks everyone for all the help Great site !

IMG_1841.jpgIMG_1843.jpgIMG_1845.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1845.jpg
    IMG_1845.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_1842.jpg
    IMG_1842.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 253
What’s the bottom rod? Auto Feed trip?
Looks like you pop off the 4 shafts and drop the apron- are there 4 Allen bolts on the front top side of the saddle?

Before you go too far, what’s the issue?

Yes, really.

Very often, the "issue" is simply that an operator is unaware the lathe has interlocks & such to prevent arguments between it's several sub-systems. Sometimes, they are not even worn, jammed, broken, or otherwise malfunctioning. Only partially engaged/dis-engaged.

The OPERATOR is malfunctioning. "Pilot Error", as they say.

What part of CA are you from? If your in the Bay Area, I have several friends who if they are in the area would help. It's very simple to take apart. Did you buy a manual for the machine? There are several of us willing and able to help you. Put the ones who tease you on ignore.

View attachment 260028

Take a picture of the horizontal surface of the top slide. There should be bolts that hold things together. Your apron is no mystery. There are so many copies of that same apron.

It probably wouldn't hurt if you describe what condition you are attempting to fix.

A neighbor had a lathe just like yours and he liked it.

On my lathe(not the same but similar) the bolt that Richard refers to sets the tension of the clutch in the apron for the power feed, so it’s possible if it’s missing , the clutch will always be (too) loose.
Although the video lathe also looks like the bolt is not there?

ca10d07017fc8d1c70e11b842aae91ca.jpg

Rip the one on the You Tube had a knob with a bolt in it and they guy pulls it out it sure looks like to me. His flange has 3 cap screws and yours has 3 smaller button head screws. Did you watch the You Tube? Rip your shaft has a flat on the right hand side of the shaft and looks like it should have something extra and just not the bolt. If I were skip I would buy a manual that is for the machine. Rip If I were you I would thread in a longer cap screw with a jam nut and try to pull it out and push it back in plus turn it. The longer one will be easier to hold on to it. I am being a detective and helping and not just guessing.

Last edited:
My lathe was built like that, the manual shows the same setup. To adjust the clutch tension you place a wrench on the flats and turn the Allen- this adjustment seldom needs to be made. Mine works as designed, I have no intention of modifying it. The 3 button head screws just hold the label plate on, there are 3 larger cap screws holding the flange on like the OPs.

I did watch the video, it appears to me that he is pulling and pushing the upper knob, which is what the OP has. It did seem strange to me that in the video both the lead screw and the feed rod were turning at the same time. Many lathes have a lever or knob that selects one or the other

And because you seem intent at taking jabs at others trying to help-it appears to me that your detective skills are lacking and you are just guessing :)

Rip the one on the You Tube had a knob with a bolt in it and they guy pulls it out it sure looks like to me. His flange has 3 cap screws and yours has 3 smaller button head screws. Did you watch the You Tube? Rip your shaft has a flat on the right hand side of the shaft and looks like it should have something extra and just not the bolt. If I were skip I would buy a manual that is for the machine. Rip If I were you I would thread in a longer cap screw with a jam nut and try to pull it out and push it back in plus turn it. The longer one will be easier to hold on to it. I am being a detective and helping and not just guessing.

No, you’re just guessing. The video clearly shows the operator manipulating the top knob, above the 3-capscrew flange. That flange is for the clutch adjustment, threading a screw into it and trying to pull/push will do sweet FA. See Rip’s photo.

I had a Chien Yeh (avatar) with the same apron arrangement and had to pull the carriage because the feeds were not operable after it was moved. In my case it was a missing key.

No, you’re just guessing. The video clearly shows the operator manipulating the top knob, above the 3-capscrew flange. That flange is for the clutch adjustment, threading a screw into it and trying to pull/push will do sweet FA. See Rip’s photo.

I had a Chien Yeh (avatar) with the same apron arrangement and had to pull the carriage because the feeds were not operable after it was moved. In my case it was a missing key.

Your seeing something different then I am. At least we are finding the issue and not guessing. I am a Professional Machinist and Professional Machine Rebuilder and I solve these sorts of issues for a living. One can clearly see Rips lathe is not complete. Why argue about this?? We are trying to help him.

Ripperj’s lathe has no issue, as I clearly posted above, it was designed that way. When I get home I will take a picture of the crappy picture from the manual that shows the same thing.

What’s the bottom rod? Auto Feed trip?
Looks like you pop off the 4 shafts and drop the apron- are there 4 Allen bolts on the front top side of the saddle?

My issue is that the carriage only moves when the half nut is on also the cross feed moves one direction (inward) but not out, also when you put it in gear to move outward the carriage moves instead. I am not sure if the feed screw should be rotating all the time ?Will the 4 shafts disconnect at the headstock or will I have to open the quick change ?

Back