Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default How to repair Ramco Chinese lathe carriage

I have a Ramco Chinese lathe that has a feed problem in the apron that I think can be fixed if I can get inside the apron . I am just not sure of what this entails, would like an idea of what I am getting into. Any help would be appreciated

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by skipjackbill View Post
    I have a Ramco Chinese lathe that has a feed problem in the apron that I think can be fixed if I can get inside the apron . I am just not sure of what this entails, would like an idea of what I am getting into. Any help would be appreciated
    Could be Taiwanese?

https://www.sterlingmachinery.com/me...l-brochure.pdf

Or a maker - or just a distributor - in India:

Precision Lathe Machine - Ramco Machine International

Aprons are fastened to the carriage saddle in much the same way, most any manual lathe.

Any and all PM threads about apron repairs - any brand - can contribute SOME useful information.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A couple pictures would help us help you

Typically you remove the bearing block for the lead screw/feed rod / fed/rev lever and then pull these three shaft( usually pinned on the headstock side)
    You then drop the apron by removing 4 cap screws from the top of the carriage.

This all assumes that you have a typical engine lathe, I have no idea what your lathe is and a google search didnít help narrow it down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Guess it would be good to purchase a service manual/ perhaps call the company..It is so easy to break things if you are not sure.

You tube might hel
    YouTube

5. Likes rpseguin liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I
    Quote Originally Posted by ripperj View Post
    A couple pictures would help us help you

Typically you remove the bearing block for the lead screw/feed rod / fed/rev lever and then pull these three shaft( usually pinned on the headstock side)
    You then drop the apron by removing 4 cap screws from the top of the carriage.

This all assumes that you have a typical engine lathe, I have no idea what your lathe is and a google search didn’t help narrow it down

I will post pictures . Looking closely I thought that removing the feed screw and the other shafts would have happen. Thought that the carriage needed to be removed but the shafts makes more since.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

here is the pictures of my lathe thanks everyone for all the help Great site !

img_1841.jpgimg_1843.jpg[attach=config]260029
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_1842.jpg   img_1845.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whatís the bottom rod? Auto Feed trip?
    Looks like you pop off the 4 shafts and drop the apron- are there 4 Allen bolts on the front top side of the saddle?

Before you go too far, whatís the issue?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Before you go too far, what’s the issue?
    Yes, really.

Very often, the "issue" is simply that an operator is unaware the lathe has interlocks & such to prevent arguments between it's several sub-systems. Sometimes, they are not even worn, jammed, broken, or otherwise malfunctioning. Only partially engaged/dis-engaged.

The OPERATOR is malfunctioning. "Pilot Error", as they say.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What part of CA are you from? If your in the Bay Area, I have several friends who if they are in the area would help. It's very simple to take apart. Did you buy a manual for the machine? There are several of us willing and able to help you. Put the ones who tease you on ignore.

11. Likes rpseguin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by skipjackbill View Post
    here is the pictures of my lathe thanks everyone for all the help Great site !

img_1841.jpgimg_1843.jpg[attach=config]260029
    Take a look at your 2 nd picture and it looks like there is a knob missing on the flange with the 3 cap screws in the middle just above the one with the lever. Look at it real good and then look at this you tube show. It shows that 3 bolt flange with a pull / push feed reverse knob the fellow uses. I had to watch it a couple of times, but you will see what's wrong. You may be able to tread in a long metric cap screw with a jam nut to keep it from turning in it to test it. Then either make a knob on the lathe or buy one from Sterling. YouTube
    Last edited by Richard King; 07-01-2019 at 06:46 AM.

13. Likes rpseguin liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

img_1843.jpg

Take a picture of the horizontal surface of the top slide. There should be bolts that hold things together. Your apron is no mystery. There are so many copies of that same apron.

It probably wouldn't hurt if you describe what condition you are attempting to fix.

A neighbor had a lathe just like yours and he liked it.

15. Likes skipjackbill liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On my lathe(not the same but similar) the bolt that Richard refers to sets the tension of the clutch in the apron for the power feed, so itís possible if itís missing , the clutch will always be (too) loose.
    Although the video lathe also looks like the bolt is not there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rip the one on the You Tube had a knob with a bolt in it and they guy pulls it out it sure looks like to me. His flange has 3 cap screws and yours has 3 smaller button head screws. Did you watch the You Tube? Rip your shaft has a flat on the right hand side of the shaft and looks like it should have something extra and just not the bolt. If I were skip I would buy a manual that is for the machine. Rip If I were you I would thread in a longer cap screw with a jam nut and try to pull it out and push it back in plus turn it. The longer one will be easier to hold on to it. I am being a detective and helping and not just guessing.
    Last edited by Richard King; 07-01-2019 at 06:51 AM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My lathe was built like that, the manual shows the same setup. To adjust the clutch tension you place a wrench on the flats and turn the Allen- this adjustment seldom needs to be made. Mine works as designed, I have no intention of modifying it. The 3 button head screws just hold the label plate on, there are 3 larger cap screws holding the flange on like the OPs.

I did watch the video, it appears to me that he is pulling and pushing the upper knob, which is what the OP has. It did seem strange to me that in the video both the lead screw and the feed rod were turning at the same time. Many lathes have a lever or knob that selects one or the other

And because you seem intent at taking jabs at others trying to help-it appears to me that your detective skills are lacking and you are just guessing

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard King View Post
    Rip the one on the You Tube had a knob with a bolt in it and they guy pulls it out it sure looks like to me. His flange has 3 cap screws and yours has 3 smaller button head screws. Did you watch the You Tube? Rip your shaft has a flat on the right hand side of the shaft and looks like it should have something extra and just not the bolt. If I were skip I would buy a manual that is for the machine. Rip If I were you I would thread in a longer cap screw with a jam nut and try to pull it out and push it back in plus turn it. The longer one will be easier to hold on to it. I am being a detective and helping and not just guessing.
    No, youíre just guessing. The video clearly shows the operator manipulating the top knob, above the 3-capscrew flange. That flange is for the clutch adjustment, threading a screw into it and trying to pull/push will do sweet FA. See Ripís photo.

I had a Chien Yeh (avatar) with the same apron arrangement and had to pull the carriage because the feeds were not operable after it was moved. In my case it was a missing key.

20. Likes skipjackbill liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard King View Post
    There are several of us willing and able to help you. Put the ones who tease you on ignore.
    If this comment is considered a jab then it is pretty light-weight.

22. Likes Richard King liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RC Mech View Post
    No, you’re just guessing. The video clearly shows the operator manipulating the top knob, above the 3-capscrew flange. That flange is for the clutch adjustment, threading a screw into it and trying to pull/push will do sweet FA. See Rip’s photo.

I had a Chien Yeh (avatar) with the same apron arrangement and had to pull the carriage because the feeds were not operable after it was moved. In my case it was a missing key.
    Your seeing something different then I am. At least we are finding the issue and not guessing. I am a Professional Machinist and Professional Machine Rebuilder and I solve these sorts of issues for a living. One can clearly see Rips lathe is not complete. Why argue about this?? We are trying to help him.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ripperjís lathe has no issue, as I clearly posted above, it was designed that way. When I get home I will take a picture of the crappy picture from the manual that shows the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes yes Rich your vocation is duly noted.

Itís an oddball knob to be sure, but itís complete.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What’s the bottom rod? Auto Feed trip?
    Looks like you pop off the 4 shafts and drop the apron- are there 4 Allen bolts on the front top side of the saddle?

Before you go too far, what’s the issue?

My issue is that the carriage only moves when the half nut is on also the cross feed moves one direction (inward) but not out, also when you put it in gear to move outward the carriage moves instead. I am not sure if the feed screw should be rotating all the time ?Will the 4 shafts disconnect at the headstock or will I have to open the quick change ?