What's new
What's new

howa sangyo lathe

tnmgcarbide

Diamond
looking to pull the trigger on an howa 1500 lathe.

appears solid.. like a takisawa TAL or okuma. but i don't have any experience with a howa .

anyone care to chime in on the howa/sangyo ? i've demo-d the machine , and it runs like

a champ. i guess i'm answering my own questions... or shooting myself in the foot....

anyway. if you have one, please say so .
thanks

I used one a good bit years ago. I thought it was great machine.

Most of the stuff I machined on it would have been better to do on
a much smaller machine but it's what I had available. Like you note-
I found it ran like a champ.

They are kind of short- you may want to put it on some riser blocks - depending on your height

They are kind of short- you may want to put it on some riser blocks - depending on your height

X2 on this. I am about finished up cleaning up a 1500 and have been running it for a few months now. Great machine, only complaint is the height, I’m 5’11” and it’s too short. I’ll be adding risers once I slide it to its final spot, don’t want to have to level it twice.

I don’t know the correct term but the headstock is pressure lubed rather than “bath and splash”. Depending on condition I would recommend popping the cover off and making sure none of the lines are blocked off or gummed up and also checking out the carriage. In my case the head was fine but the carriage was pretty plugged up and the wicks in the apron needed some attention. Only issues I’ve found, but not surprising for 45 year old machine.

Other than the height, great machine. The one I have is not mint but not abused and has no problem holding reasonable manual tolerances without much effort.

Send me a PM with your email if you need a manual for it.

Mike

Back