What's new
What's new

Ikegai A20 High Speed flat belt?

markp

Hot Rolled
Picked up one today. Missing the flat belt. Anyone know where to get these? Or where to get a made to order flat belt from?

Attachments

• a20.jpg
    a20.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 124
Found the broken belt, in the bottom corner of the door. Looks like it was thicker with a fiber layer (lots of fiber strands down there as well) so I wont be able to get any accurate dimensions off of it. No adjustment on the pulleys. Anyone ever replaced this belt? Guess it has to be a near perfect fit.

Attachments

• belt.jpg
    belt.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 59
Might be worth checking with Ikegai directly?

Their web site has a form for questions and I got a response in a couple days. They didn't have useful info for my older manual lathe (DA-25) but might still have information or even parts for the A20?

Good luck - it's a neat machine!
-Z

A very good lathe, well worth getting belt. To install we had to remove headstock to bed bolts and tilt to get belt on pulleys, then re-square to axis of bed on re-tightening (adjusters at chuck end). We also raised the whole machine nearly six inches as it was built for short operators. Two large 1.5" plates with 4.0" solid bar welded on top under both bases made it much more comfortable to operate.

Was thinking it would be easier to unbolt the top pulley from the hub, then use a thin fingered puller to pull the hub. Remove the pulley then install the flat belt, I guess by carefully tapping it onto the flat pulleys with a flat plate. Looks like you would take a bit of the tension off of the v belts by loosening the rubber mounted motor/gearbox baseplate.

Attachments

• pulleys.jpg
    pulleys.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 61
Might be worth checking with Ikegai directly?

Their web site has a form for questions and I got a response in a couple days. They didn't have useful info for my older manual lathe (DA-25) but might still have information or even parts for the A20?

Good luck - it's a neat machine!
-Z

I sent queries to both Ikegai Japan and Al Bino belting, (they indicate that they can make belts for an A20 on their website).

Al Bino said they could make one for me. Al said he made one for Akagi a 20 in 2017. I still have to measure the pulleys and the center to center distance as he said it’s extremely critical on these types of non-adjustable belts. Will report back.

I was able to get a belt made for this lathe from Al Bino that works fine. He also has the measurements for the Daewoo A20 that has slightly larger pulleys and had made this lathes belt before as well. Handy for A20 owners as the length has to be exact to work and is hard to measure. I have handy tips for anyone who needs to install these belts. Its actually pretty easy.

Hey there markp,

Could you do a walkthrough of what method you used to get the belt on your high-speed pulleys please?

I've just acquired an A-20 missing the high-speed, so I'll be ordering one from Al Biro, but The process looks to be a bit of a mystery.

Thanks!

To remove the 5 v belts you need to loosen the rubber mounted motor bolts, (loosen more on the left side towards the rear of the lathe). Then push on the motor mount plate from below using a small enerpac hydraulic cylinder, push on the rear side. This loosens the belts and you can pull the top 5 belt pulley off after removing the end cap bolt holding it to the shaft and the bolts holding it to the hub.

Then remove the casting and bearing for the pulley shaft to get access to the high speed pulleys. Clean the high speed pulleys. Mine had old rubber gunk from the old belt.

Heat the new belt in the sun or in an oven to around 100F. Roll the belt onto the pulleys with the lathe in neutral. The pulleys are crowned so you can get it onto the edges and it will roll into place.

Replace the shaft mount and bearing. With the motor plate still pushed up, you can replace all the v belts onto the top pulley, then slide the pulley hub into place then the pulley onto the hub. Bolt it all back together. Readjust the motor plate to get the v belts to the right tension.

Last edited:
I was able to get a belt made for this lathe from Al Bino that works fine. He also has the measurements for the Daewoo A20 that has slightly larger pulleys and had made this lathes belt before as well. Handy for A20 owners as the length has to be exact to work and is hard to measure. I have handy tips for anyone who needs to install these belts. Its actually pretty easy.

Must have been an earlier model Daewoo. Mine is all gear. I spent a while searching for this damn belt, only to find it doesn't exist.

Back