What's new
What's new

Information on the Schaublin 53 is hard to find.

Miguels244

Diamond
I just found about the Schaublin 53 mill.
Turn out that a search here with just 53 fails.

It looks like an amazing machine, has any one seen them in the wild?
Worked with one?

I just found about the Schaublin 53 mill.
Turn out that a search here with just 53 fails.

It looks like an amazing machine, has any one seen them in the wild?
Worked with one?

Information here: Schaublin Type 53 miller

I have one, it's very sturdy, head design is clever, nice feed and speed design with a motor in the knee for rapids. Inbuilt oil mist lubrication for the spindle. As standard I think they had a 5HP main motor which runs the spindle, compressor for the oil mist and non-rapid feeds (on all axis)

Nice machines. The two i have been around in person were both pretty noisy...Side effect of having that head design...lots of gears required to run everything....
Cheers Ross

I spent many happy years in a University workshop with two Schaublin 53's. Originally bought in the 1960's they ran for about 12 hours each day with not much problems. We had (still have!) ALL the available kit for them. When new they cost three times (equivelent) what was paid four years ago for a brand new CNC mill with axis movements of 1500 x 800 x 800 Z.
The 53's are still in use every day and will need to be replaced eventually but with what?
We also had a Huron which was a better mill and much easier to use. The Dean Smith Grace of mills!

Hello Miguel, did you find information on your milling machine and if not I have some documentation for it.
Kind regards
Richard.

This Old Tony has a youtube vid on rebuilding such

I think you are confusing the Schaublin 53 being talked about here, with the Schaublin 13 that This Old Tony has. The 13 is more comparable to a Deckel FP1, while the 53 is definitely bigger.

If you want to see a 53 running on YouTube, you may want to look for "L'Atelier de Marco". He's a Swiss older gentleman. His video output is sporadic, but interesting. He speaks only French in his videos however. It doesn't bother me but might be an impediment to some of you.

Look for older videos of his. Maybe 3 or 4 years ago. He has a series where he takes us somewhat close and personal with the 53.

One last thing, for most Swiss machine tools, one great resource is the Anglo-Swiss Tools website

Jacques

I spent many happy years in a University workshop with two Schaublin 53's. Originally bought in the 1960's they ran for about 12 hours each day with not much problems. We had (still have!) ALL the available kit for them. When new they cost three times (equivelent) what was paid four years ago for a brand new CNC mill with axis movements of 1500 x 800 x 800 Z.
The 53's are still in use every day and will need to be replaced eventually but with what?
We also had a Huron which was a better mill and much easier to use. The Dean Smith Grace of mills!
"
With what?" is a great question, and I would suggest making it clear to whoever is making the eventual decision, that they carefully consider whether the machine being brought in as new, is not at least as worn out as a very well used and abused "Quality" machine.

We got screwed on that, in my last workplace, as they had to bid out the replacement for our Varnamo mills, and got a import piece of crap that wasn't near as well put together or capable (it eventually went back) and was nowhere near as intuitive to use, either. Push a button, lift a lever, to make it go one way, push a different button, lift same lever, to make it go the other way. Caused a fair few crashes, as all the Varnamo mills were very intuitive to use, where the direction you moved a lever, caused a very direct relation to the movement produced!

In a general sense, I would figure a Schaublin 13 would be almost the ideal home shop mill, if you could get all the goodies along with (a not minor problem). the 53 seems more aimed at the high end Pro user, and seems a lot less available on a global scale, though i is also a lot heavier built than the 13 seems to have been.

Back