What's new
What's new

Installing a Bison four jaw chuck to a Weiler Matador

FinnoUgric

Plastic
My Weiler Matador came with two self centering chucks. One with three and another with four jaws. Since these date back to 1972 they are somewhat worn and are not that precise anymore. The lathe also has a 5C collet system with collets ranging from1 to 20 millimeters. Those are accurate but are only usable for round workpieces up to 20 millimeters in diameter.
Being a hobbyist I often want to turn objects that are not round and in the worst case not even symmetric. Therefore I decided to buy a four jaw chuck with independent jaws. The one I chose was a Polish Bison 4304-200, which is a 200 millimeter chuck. This particular chuck had an affordable price as it had been sitting in the stock for quite some time. The chuck has a cast iron body with hardened reversible jaws. Exactly what I needed.
However, the low price had a downside with it. The chuck did not have the short taper bayonet attachment (Size #5) and could not be attached directly to the lathe spindle nose. So I made a backplate for the chuk. The two videos linked present my ramblings with the process of creating that backplate. This time I got it right and the result is both precise and pleasant to watch and use.
-
Forumshot1.jpg
-
Forumshot1.jpg
-
-

Back