What's new
What's new

Just purchased a Weiler LZ280 - seeking documentation

PeterTredrea

Plastic
Hi Folks,
First post and seeking background assistance. Purchased a Weiler LZ280 complete with many accessories and after reviewing the many related posts on this Lathe I'm seeking any support information you can provide.
The Lathe was used by an instrument maker for Astronomy and Horology applications so wear is minimal. Unfortunately, since the instrument is now long in the tooth (built around 1970), the support documentation is long gone.
I would appreciate electronic copies of anything relating to the lathe (preferably in English).
Also interested in the history of the Weiler company. From my contact so far I can appreciate the fine engineering in the 280 series and from the limited information on the Web appreciate the current products continue a fine tradition. Since Weiler is not (to my knowledge) represented in Australia, I'm struggling to find much detailed information.
Any information you can provide would be much appreciated
Thanks
Peter Tredrea (Melbourne, Australia)

Peter!

Tony Griffiths at www.lathes.co.uk will sell you a copy of the manual for £45. This may not seem cheap, but my experience is that he does a proper job of it, quality copying, spiral bound, heavy paper, friendly service. The rest of his website covers among other things the largest ancient machine tool database on the planet.

Ole

I'm really busy expanding the shop and getting the new part closed with glass in the windows. There's not much time left to shield the precious machinery for the upcoming autumn storms and winter blizzards, so I do not check the forum every 5 minutes right now.

I already caught the PM and supply Peter on short term with a manual.

The amount of manuals available is heading to the 400 now. The most recent manual I got was a Norton Camshaft grinder from 1944. Very interesting (although not related to this topic) and I'll add it to the list when things get a bit more relaxed here.

Many thanks for the assistance. The "manual is worth its weight in gold"

I'm quite new to metal machining, it is now 45 years since I attended Technical School and look forward to relearning my old skills and introducing new ones.

My purchase included a small universal mill. Stands about 1.6 meter high with both a vertical and horizontal drive. Ideal for the scale of engineering tasks I want to pursue. I have not been able to identify the maker (yet).

I'm about to start collecting the equipment. The previous owner passed away last year and his widow decided it was time to clear the garage.
Both tools (lathe and mill) came with a lifetime of accessories but could not determine what went with what so she decided to only sell the system complete. This was my good fortune.

Looking forward to participating in your Forum.

Regards

Peter Tredrea

Back