What's new
What's new

KERN "FRITZ KERN" DS 20L Lathe w. pics

asdf

Aluminum
Hallo all,

I bought a KERN DS 20 L Lathe that I plan to bring to working order and document it here with pictures of progress.

It would be great if anyone could share some manuals or documentation for this lathe.

She runs but has some parts missing. A chuck is "easy" to acquire but there will be some parts machining from scratch like, tail stock parts and combination gears(all in pics shown).

And here are those pics, nothing without them pics:
IMG_0211.jpg IMG_0212.jpg IMG_0217.jpg IMG_0219.jpg IMG_0229.jpg

The pictures are before and after some partial cleaning. Although, the lighting is kinda weird so the flash is making the lathe look more rusted then she really is. There is one detail however, this vintage KERN lathes have some serious paint problem as I can see from other KERN lathes on the market.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Thank You all,

n

more pics follow.

She was very heavy, about 2200 kg (4400 lbs) or so for such a short lathe, she only has 800 mm between centers(that is from face of the tail stock to face of the spindle without any centers in them!).

Without flash:
IMAG0210.jpg

Couldn't resist opening the head stock, gears fully in order, front spindle bearing splash lubricated:
IMG_0220.jpg IMG_0221.jpg IMG_0222.jpg IMG_0223.jpg

Ways seem to have no ware, scraping marks still there:

IMG_0224.jpg IMG_0225.jpg IMG_0226.jpg

Yes, she is missing a tool holder as well:
IMG_0230.jpg

Everything is tight there, even on the apron:
IMG_0231.jpg

yes, even more pics follow...

The missing gears shown in pictures (well, obviously not the gears them self they are missing:bawling: :)) and the electrical box looks in pretty good shape, although the old type of fuses are still installed, that will be updated.

IMG_0232.jpg IMG_0233.jpg IMG_0236.jpg IMG_0237.jpg IMG_0238.jpg

Ok, more pictures later after some update.

Thanks,

n

That is a nice heavy duty lathe, I dont know if I have seen one of those before. Kern is more well known name for horizontal boring mills.

Thanks for sharing your photos.

Charles

That is a nice heavy duty lathe, I dont know if I have seen one of those before. Kern is more well known name for horizontal boring mills.

Thanks for sharing your photos.

Charles

I think You mean Kearns? That is not the same company. This is a Fritz KERN K. G. or something.

Thanks,

n

Hello. I have a Fritz Kern kg model DS22A. The auto feed
Etc won’t engauge on the trave handle. Is the a PDF on these machines. Thanks for ya pic and info. Cheers Mado

Hello

I have a kern ds 20 L. It is identical to your model ds 22 A. Do you still need guide for your auto feed. if so please let me know.

Hello

I can give you the list, pics and number of threads for the missing gears
Hello,
I have a similar lathe from kern and also searching for documentation.
do you have documentation for these machine's?
Is it possible to share them if you have them?

Back