What's new
What's new

Leinen threading indicator gears

Luke Rickert

Hot Rolled
Hi folks, not my machine but I am trying to help another Lienen owner. He asked if I had an indicator on my machine which I don't but figured I would put it out there and see if anyone else knows.

The deal is he has a threading indicator and an inch thread lealdscrew MLZ but is missing the gears that connect the indicator to the screw. The small gear appears to be metric module 1 with 16 teeth. The leadscrew seems to be imperial 8 threads per inch, so the larger gear it engages with might be a Diametral Pitch rather than Module size.

It is a long shot but does anyone know what those gears are supposed to be. In a quick image search it seems like threading indicators are not common on these machines. Mine doesn't have nor does Sbs' (the only other active Leinen MLZ owner on the forum I know of). I have never seen detailed documentation for Leinens like I have for my Schaublin 13 mill with drawings of everything including accessories etc. although that would be perfect for this situation.

thanks
Luke

threading dial 2.jpgthreading dial 1.jpg

The circular pitch of the gear has to match the pitch of the leadscrew for proper engagement. That means it will not be a standard module or diametral pitch. You may have to make a hob and cut the gear yourself. There is a lot of information in the model engineering community on how this is done.

Hi Luke,

just let me say that Toni of lathes.com.uk can provide copies of some of the Boley Leinen lathe catalogues. These include the catalogue of original tooling (pictures of most of them and main data). In the case, you should know that there are at least two distinct tooling catalogues: one for the "old series" of lathes and another for the "newest" one, like yours. Look at references L200A and L200A2.

Sbs

thanks Sbs, the owner of the machine is in England and already in touch with Tony so hopefully they will be able to sort it out. Tony has pictures of a machine with the threading indicator so he should know something or someone who does.

Luke

Details about Leinen thread dial indicator

thanks Sbs, the owner of the machine is in England and already in touch with Tony so hopefully they will be able to sort it out. Tony has pictures of a machine with the threading indicator so he should know something or someone who does.

Luke

Hi Luke,
hello all,

maybe little late for this nearly 5 years old thread, but if there are still informations needed,
here's what some Leinen owners in german forum "Zerspanungsbude" found out:

There seem to be different sets of gears for different purpose, imperial and at least 2 different for metric threads.
I currently know about following setups:

- metric, 2x 18 teeth module 1.25, wormgear with 30 teeth for metric 3mm leadscrew, dial with 30 segments,
does not meet all common pitches, so there obviously are more..

- unknow system (imperial assumed), 2x 18 teeth, wormgear with 27 teeth, leadscrew pitch and number of dial segments unknown (I requested them from the owner, not yet responsed)

- your shown sample, 16 teeth, based on the axis distance and assuming Module 1.25, second gear might have 24 teeth,
wormgear unknown, dial unknown

I'm still chacing infos and details to understand , what system Leinen used for this, in my opinion, it is not very common to use dial indicators for imperial and metric.

Luke,
could you please get back to your colleague and ask for some pictures of the dial, if he still has hands on it?

In both of my 18 teeth gears, there is a little "B" stamped in a circle, I guess it marks the set - is there any stamp in the 16 teeth gear ?
IMG_20200119_152643.jpg

Has this sample you're showing been attached to the machine or did he buy it seperately ?

Could anyone of you, who has an imperial model of the LZ4 or MLZ4 or LZ43 tell me the feed per turn of both supports slides and the dial resolution?

Best regards,
Denis

Back