Lorch B-VI-PO-K - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lorch B-VI-PO-K

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice little lathe you have there, should be a pleasure to use. Looks to be in good condition, congratulations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Very cool Henry! Do you know what she weighs, just the machine? I'm sure they my stand weighs twice what the lathe does.

I was lucky enough to get a full set of chasers and leaders, I just don't have the small attachment that raises there leader. But I fellas mentioned being able to make it for me once I figure out the material.

Do you use your lathe, is she still accurate? I'm amazed at the accuracy on this machine.. My tailstock is out and I'm not sure what to do there.

I cleaned my chucks today, they're in perfect condition and mechanically nigger then any I've ever used before. Is this a lorch brand?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whoa... Stranger typo above.. Can someone please fix that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can edit your own post with the button at the bottom of the post. Would suggest doing so.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I haven't done much with mine other than clean up- mine came with a chuck & collets. I'm not sure on the weight but it's startlingly heavy...heavier than a South Bend 9".
    You're very fortunate indeed...beautiful chucks & accessories, but no clue on brand. I know the seller personally and I've admired his wonderful machines on several occasions.

Here's another shot of my lathe:
    image.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ad design, I can not find an edit button. This darn keyboard has a mind of its own I tell ya.

Henry, I was stunned by the weight of the machine and stand. I have moved many heavy machines with my 2 ton engine hoist, all with in its capability of course.. Including a Rockwell knee mill, Rd 45 milling machine and many machines like it. But this lathe far surpassed the weight. My hoist almost couldn't hold the darn thing.

This thing cuts like a hot knife through butter! I chewed through grade 5 titanium like it was nothing. Almost no resistance on the dial. Love it!

Oh, I also have the original 3 phase motors for this lathe,a future vfd project I think.

Cool photo Henry, I hope you had a lot of help moving her!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I meant to add, Henry.. the fella I bought mine from had a massive collection of lathes and various machines. It was truly a dream land.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some of the goodies that came with her..I wonder if Tony from the lathe site would be interested in some photos? He only has old drawings of this machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK fellas... The only part of this lathe that I'm not thrilled with is the tailstock alignment. After construction several tests it appears that I'm out .0015 over 8". I'm not even sure how to approach fixing this problem?

I can't post a video so here's a couple still shots of my indicator at the beginning and end of the rod. I'm starting at the spindle and moving towards tail. Tailstock is closer to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Also how warm should the spindle bearing beer getting? This rear bearing is getting very very warm to touch, including the entire pulley. I've flushed the bearings with Mobil velocite #10. And add a few drops before each use. I'm running get on seconds slowest speed, which is still high. I'd say 600-700 rpm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK I'm just noticing this now, since I put a chuck on the lathe. This small oil port and the sounding round part are getting hot with in a minute of running. I can smell the oil it's heating up so quickly? I've flooded it and watched the oil pour out around the bearing so I know it's getting sufficient oil.. What might I look at?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK well you guys get to watch me learn like a novice.....I was turning between centres and had the tailstock pressure a little too high.. I've removed the set up and let it run and it's not generating any heat

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On the assumption that you are measuring 0.002" TIR "vertically" there are two fixes; one simple the other not so simple.

The complicated way would be to grind or scrape 0.002" from the bottom of the tailstock to eliminate the 0.002" variance.

A simpler method would be to insert 0.002 shim stock under the TOP surface of the taper when you load the dead center. This will get rid of that variance with very little effort.

Or, just ignore it. That amount of variance won't amount to a hill of beans when parallel turning.

If I'm mistaken and the indicator reading is in the X direction, then you can just adjust the tailstock sideways; a common procedure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

that will not work on this machine, the tailstock casting is a solid piece, and I would never stick a shim in a taper(how would it hold?) but I agree .0015" is worth ignoring, maybe check for a burr or chip, but don't alter anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How would it hold? Just put a 2" length of brass shim stock into the tailstock taper above the dead center and it will move down approximately that amount. It will stay put until you remove it.

But for parallel turning I wouldn't even bother with that small amount.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks guys.. it's off side to side. Vertically is literally dead nuts accurate.

Here's what I've noticed. The compound slide has some wear in the centre. It's off .0015 end to end, but the centre couple inches is up to .003 off. Should I attempt to tighten the gib screws?

The gib

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mailbox full.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just cleared it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can anyone help me identify what type of collets these are?

There is an F on everyone of them and a size ranging from " 10 F" up to " 165 F ".

The largest o.d on the shank is 20.5 mm and the oal of the collets are 4 3/4 long.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anyone up for helping me add a reverse switch to my lorch? Both switches have multiple setting but only one turns the lathe on. Nothing else does a thing.

Could I use the current switches to add a reverse? Any of you electric gurus care to help? Here's a pic OF the motor.. Not very good as I had to try to squeeze in. A