What's new
What's new

Magdeburg D30 Lathe?

kvarnis1

Aluminum
Have anyone heard of Magdeburg Lathes? :confused: I only found one picture on the net of this type. It has about 80-90 mm center height and 500-600 mm between center. It has both longitudal and cross feed. Seems like a nice small lathe. There is one for sale in Sweden and I am a bit curious about it! ;)
magdeburg-d30.jpg

/Ola

Ola,

can't reaaly help you here but there was one for sale in Holland a while ago.

Don't know what it fetched because I did not track it. I believe it's from former Eastern German descent hence the name is after the town of Magdeburg.

I believe it has no real leadscrew but a keyed rod. I think the feeds and possible pitches are changed by the two levers at the lower RH side.

Looks like a 'serious' machine based on looking at the castings.

Forget about spares etc.

regards,

Piet

Piet,
I have just spoked to the owner. The two levers at the lower RH side is for speed selection on the three-speed motor and start/stop for cooling pump. The lever higher up is for forward/reverse of the spindle. It is probably from the 50's or the 60's.
The owner says it weights approx. 500 kg so it is a very steady small lathe! I understand that parts are not an option, but I have room for it... :cool:

/Ola

Hello everybody,

A friend of mine bougt this type of machine recently.
I helped him to disassemble and clean some Parts and can tell you, the quality is really outstanding.

This machine is called a "Feindrehmaschine" in the Manual which means it is build to produce a high quality surface finish.
The Spindle bearings are Pressure lubricated plain-bearings and the feeds are belt-Driven.
Feeds are changed with Knobs at the Apron.
There is no Leadscrew.

The company was located near Heidelberg (west Germany).
There was an other company in East-Germany which sold products under the WMW-Magdeburg-Brand but this is a different story.

It weights appr. 950 kg.

Greetings
Oliver

Ola,

As I noticed and you confirm, it looks very sturdy and of good Greman Quailty. At the modest price of 700 Euro I wouldn't think twice about taking a trip to inspect it.
I would like to know more about the technical specs, neat little thing.

Jan
Norway

Oliver,
thanks for the information. The owner said the spindle speeds were 750-1000-1500 rpm. Is that correct? Do you have any more techincal data or manual?

Regards,
Ola

Well, at least I was right about the lathe being from Germany

And about not having a leadscrew, so I get some points for that I hope. The one here in Holland had only one lever at the RH bottom so maybe that did not have a coolant pump.

All kidding aside, as per Olivers comments this is a serious quality type lathe and, provided that you don't need to do any screw cutting, I would surely check it out.

Seems also to be a bit of a issue on the weight, the owner says 500 kg Oliver mentions 950 kg. Not really an issue maybe provided it does not have to go go three stories high in an attic.

If you do get it we expect lots of pics including the internal organs etc. PSpecially that Apron must be a piece of engineering.

Good Luck

Oliver,

bit of topic but what is the quality of the WMW brand in comparison to the Magdeburg??

The occaisional WMW passes by on some lokal sites including the huge WMW Niles but occaisionally the smaler types come by as well.

Thanks,

Piet

Piet,
950 kg is better than 500 kg and is no problem, my last lathe was 3400 kg... :D
My van can handle 1400 kg and my shop is at ground level. But do I really need another lathe... :confused:
Since both the spindle and feed is belt-driven it is easy to adopt the machine for VFD speed and feed drive. No threadcutting is a big downside of this machine but I did not have that on my Schaublin 102s either.

/Ola

Peter S mentioned the one we saw in Auckland. I don't know anything about their lathes, but all I can say is that the other old machines in their shop had a good pedigree - Lang, Richards, Asquith, Churchill.

Hi !

I sure can get a copy of the manual during the next days so i can tell you more about the specs.
I can try to make a PDF of it if someone is interested but there are some large drawings in the folder and they don`t fit on my scanner.

Piet, i heard nothin bad about the quality of WMW.
Machinetools were one of the few things Eastern Germany was able to export to other Countrys .

The VFD-Conversion is surely a good Idea.
Regarding the Spindle-speeds I read something about this Range in the Manual.
It was offered with 3 different speed-ranges
I suppose this was realized with different pulleys.

I try to post some Pages here...

Regards,
Oliver

Hello !

I recieved a Picture of the drivetrain.

421426.jpg

And the recommendet oils.
421447.jpg

Does anyone know a modern alternative to Shell JY 0 ?
I think it must be a thin Spindle oil.

Greetings
Oliver

I have a British lathe that needs Shell Tellus 11 for its main spindle bearings.
Tellus 11 has been replaced by Shell Morlina 5 of viscosity ISO VG 5.
I have a Mobil agent in town so I use Mobil Velocite 4 which is of the same viscosity.
A useful Norwegian site for old/new Shell oils is oil link

I've bought this machine, and I'll try to load up some pictures while I make some maintainance on It...
Still I want any info that there is to be found..

Regards Stefan

Hi everybody,

I made a PDF of the manual(only German).
If anyone is interested contact me.
Maybe someone could put it on his webspace.

Regards Oliver

Know this is an old thread but I have just bought one of these. Would it be possible to get a copy of the manual? I'd love to see some photos also

Back