What's new
What's new

Meuser 14 x 40 lathe

alcro1998

Cast Iron
Hi, I am potentially going to purchase a Meuser 14x40 lathe. The price seems good but I can not find much info on them.

I am looking for

The model of this lathe
Around when it was build
If it has hardened ways or not
Spindle nose mount

It seems like some of them did not have hardened ways and I am not really interested in a lathe without them. I also seem to see many mixed reviews on this lathe as far as if they are nice or not. Any input would be appreciated.

Thansk!

01313_1Qk8tRErCW6z_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Hi, I am potentially going to purchase a Meuser 14x40 lathe. The price seems good but I can not find much info on them.
Webster had one that looked similar but maybe the next size bigger ? It was a brute. I'd bury 1" square HSS full radius tools doing face clearing on gear blanks. It just howled and screamed where the Monarchs in the shop didn't like that at all. It wasn't fun to run but you could definitely hog material. Depending on your parts, you might like something a little daintier ... or maybe not.

Not sure I agree on the hard ways thing. As long as they are in okay shape, we aren't going to be able to do any harm to even soft ways ... nobody runs two shifts on engine lathes anymore. And expecting anything fifty years old to be perfect is not reasonable. A little emery cloth does wonders, if you aren't doing Hardinge-type work. And if you are, this is the wrong machine for it.

Not the one I ran. Howled like a banshee when you put the screws to it. Had balls, though.

We had a Meuser in the toolroom I worked in, late 70s, early 80s. Great machine, with a very comprehensive choice of metric, Imperial and diametral and module pitches, which was way beyond me at the time. Very nice machine to use and plenty of info on the "lathes UK" site.

Back