What's new
What's new

Microtor

JHOLLAND1

Titanium
MICROTOR

While memory still serves me I will recall features of an unusual Spanish tool room lathe- the Microtor D 330. This machine was a product of ICO-TOR, San Sebastian, Spain. I purchased the machine in 1978. Build year-1972. Swing 330 mm x 600 mm centers. Quality of construction on par with SAG 14. Two speed spindle motor 1500 and 3000 rpm @ 50 HZ. Disc brake, manual. Three speed gear box attached to spindle motor with back gear in headstock. Three v-belt drive with sheave in center of spindle. Total of four spindle support bearings. Pressure lube. DIN plate spindle nose chuck mount. Metric components with loose gears for Imperial thread cutting. 380 vac 3 phase. Exotic ceramic screw in fuses. Cast iron bed and base with heavy cast aluminium covers. Preset stops on cross feed hand wheel. Number 4 morse tail stock. This machine had a few quirks and one unforgivable flaw. Spindle motor speed and direction were controlled by joystick mounted in headstock. Horizontal for hi-low and up down for spindle rotation. No electric interlock was present. This would permit the disconcerting event of sudden high speed spindle reversal if the operator bumped the joystick. A protective casting was present over the j-stick but close examination of photos of these machines on secondary market shows j-stick shortened by hacksaw in majority. This was the case with my machine. The flaw?- this lathe would not allow cutting of 13 tpi thread. It would cut 12, 12.5 and 14 tpi threads but not 13. Yup- most of my threading needs then were 1/2 by 13 tpi. After 3 turns of nut galling, jamming and general unpleasantness when 13 tpi nut was used with 12.5 rod. Very few Microtor lathes were imported- likely less than two dozen. Current owners of D 330 reading this- please point out any inaccuracy. I have taken the liberty of utilizing european dealer image of machine until I can locate my own. I sold machine 15 years ago.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2703026220101642816xtwzTX

Threading?

Hi! I realize this thread is like a decade old, but it’s oretty much the only one on the Internet. I actually just bought an old Microtor D-330. Pretty solid machine but I am having a heck of a time figuring out the controls for threading. Any chance you might remember how to navigate the qcgb? I have a copy of the old manual but it’s really unclear.

Anyway. If you happen to read this, thanks!
James

MICROTOR

While memory still serves me I will recall features of an unusual Spanish tool room lathe- the Microtor D 330. This machine was a product of ICO-TOR, San Sebastian, Spain. I purchased the machine in 1978. Build year-1972. Swing 330 mm x 600 mm centers. Quality of construction on par with SAG 14. Two speed spindle motor 1500 and 3000 rpm @ 50 HZ. Disc brake, manual. Three speed gear box attached to spindle motor with back gear in headstock. Three v-belt drive with sheave in center of spindle. Total of four spindle support bearings. Pressure lube. DIN plate spindle nose chuck mount. Metric components with loose gears for Imperial thread cutting. 380 vac 3 phase. Exotic ceramic screw in fuses. Cast iron bed and base with heavy cast aluminium covers. Preset stops on cross feed hand wheel. Number 4 morse tail stock. This machine had a few quirks and one unforgivable flaw. Spindle motor speed and direction were controlled by joystick mounted in headstock. Horizontal for hi-low and up down for spindle rotation. No electric interlock was present. This would permit the disconcerting event of sudden high speed spindle reversal if the operator bumped the joystick. A protective casting was present over the j-stick but close examination of photos of these machines on secondary market shows j-stick shortened by hacksaw in majority. This was the case with my machine. The flaw?- this lathe would not allow cutting of 13 tpi thread. It would cut 12, 12.5 and 14 tpi threads but not 13. Yup- most of my threading needs then were 1/2 by 13 tpi. After 3 turns of nut galling, jamming and general unpleasantness when 13 tpi nut was used with 12.5 rod. Very few Microtor lathes were imported- likely less than two dozen. Current owners of D 330 reading this- please point out any inaccuracy. I have taken the liberty of utilizing european dealer image of machine until I can locate my own. I sold machine 15 years ago.

Webshots Story of the Day

greetings James

I have a degree of recall --40 years back on the Microtor
but I would request that you post pics of the lathe and refer to specifics
which are view able--I will provide further comment

jh

thanks for photolink

a few comments about D330 controls

the 4 way x-y joystick controls spindle direction and hi-low 1500/3000 rpm
relays older ceramic euro components
please note the overly long joystick handle--a major hazard and easily caught on shirt sleeve
so-- a prior owner of my machine hacksawed it to half length---
it was then protected by control awning overhang

indicated speeds based upon 50 cycle euro 330 volt input

note whitworth pitch plate--when you see whitworth ---plan on absence of 13 tpi threading option---reason for this is satanic-anti-christian connotation
of number 13--James Naismith--ledgendary tool builder had family lineage of many anglican clerics--and he, imo, had greatest punch in blocking 13 tpi option

in USA--Wm Sellers included 13 tpi in logical progression of pitch selection
both in dies and gear train

further note on D330---three v-belts drive spindle from center shaft configuration in headstock----provides more balanced loading on spindle bearings but great inconvenience in replacement

superb feature of machine--excellent foot brake-disconnect combo
not as good as a rockford clutch but in its day for manual machine--top drawer

Attachments

• lkjj.jpg
    lkjj.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 151

Back