What's new
What's new

Mondiale lathe levelling screws

leeko

Stainless
Hi all,

I've cleaned up and oiled the Celtic (Mondiale) 14" lathe, and put power to it. Made a few test cuts, and it runs very nicely. I'd like to level it next, and I'm wondering if the 4 screws around the base of the lathe are designed as levelling screws, or of they were intended to be used for boltong the lathe down?

I don't plan to bolt the lathe down, but I would like to level it as best I can. If I were to use those 4 screws, would I be likely to crack either my concrete or the cast iron base of the lathe? I'm just wondering if it's too much of a point load for around 1800lb of lathe....

Thanks for any advice you can offer,

Lee
a361f1e2e8f60fdf76313ec5a864b1c4.jpg
8bc752b57684803c504d6e13b83d5797.jpg
9e028e2e4604be87fdb550c4c688b265.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Not familiar with your machine, but those bolts look the same as other leveling screws I've used before. The slots probably are there to anchor the lathe but I doubt it's necessary. If you have trouble with the bolts, I'd recommend turning some "pads" out of some thin (1/2" to 1") steel drops with a dimple drilled into them. That will make the bolts more sensitive to adjust, less likely to dig into the concrete, and less likely to walk the lathe around as you turn the bolts.

What MB said, but as it is a very light lathe, I'd just grab one-per-each of those pre-cut steel squares they have next to the demolition-grade telescoping screwjacks at Big Box. The screwjacks that use them carry ratings up to about fifteen and twenty times your Mondiale's mass, so that's a pretty good indication they'll be OK on 'crete - no labour required.

That isn't a big lathe but it's very unusual to only have four jacking screws in the base. Normally it's four jacking screws at the headstock end and two at the tailstock end. They need to go into steel pads ideally.

Regards Tyrone.

Back