What's new
What's new

Mori crossfeed screw question

7sharpshooter

Plastic
Looking at the 2 nuts that retain the outer thrust bearing, it looks like I am missing a washer or something to keep these nuts in place. They quickly loosen after moving the crossfeed screw back and forth a few times. I cant seem to locate a diagram so was wondering if anyone knows what I am missing here
20200311_214504.jpg

From the telltale shadowing on the large plate by those nuts, I'd say you are missing the position indicating dial in it's entirety. That or the plate that is there now is a poor mans replacement. That large round plate has a witness mark on the top. This should be indicating against a graduated dial. I mean how do you have a cross feed handle without in indicator as part of it to let you know how far you're feeding? Those two nuts may have been part of what holds it on.

Maybe there's something not shown in the picture that would change my tune, but just commenting on what I see in the picture offered.

I know nothing of this particular lathe, but lathes in general should have a cross feed dial.

Edit: Just looked at a Mori lathe online. Yes you're missing a lot of stuff. That shaft should be full of things right up to the handle. Indicator dial included.

Last edited:
I had the dial removed to show the jam nuts. I repeated the tightening and each time ran the cross slide back and forth a few time and after a few of these, it seemed to finally stay tight. Perhaps the bearings needed to be run in for a bit.

Back