Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default hwacheon saga continues

Milacron,

Dont wiggle on your price.

I sold the one with the Sony DRO today - Guy brought his truck and took it home.

No Chuck at all.
    reducer, center, tool box, change gears, (1) steady & the DRO.

Have a good night Guys

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sharpasananvil View Post
    I sold the one with the Sony DRO today - Guy brought his truck and took it home.

No Chuck at all.
    reducer, center, tool box, change gears, (1) steady & the DRO.
    FWIW I have the reducer, tool box, center and change gears also..plus other doo dads I can't remember now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was talking to a buddy out at Shoener Machine in Rapid City, SD and he told me that he had a Taiwanese Mori clone on the floor that was very good. The castings even still say Mori on them. He was laughing, saying that they make a heck of a nice machine but that they do some cheap stuff, like paint the castings with brushes and buckets instead of spraying them. Anyhow, I know he has two back in his store room.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Wigglesworth

Pete,
    You could go for the wigglesworth one and scrape in as needed!

Any bites on the Gorgeous Rivett?

And to sll the experts, where do the Takisawas fit into all this, are they in a similar class?

David

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Gone far in search...

Hi all,
    Not too many Mori or whacheon's here in Kinshasa to look at on a Saturday afternoon :-((
    Lots of interesting things to see, but no fancy lathes.

David,
    No real interest in the Rivett... I guess that the economy is against me. I might take it to Toledo next month and try my luck at NAMES.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Whacheon green

Quote Originally Posted by Troup View Post
    Here's another green one, the only Hwacheon I've ever owned, and that was only for a couple of hours, but that's another story (tail-rotor tailstock)
    Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    That one looks old enough that it may not be original paint...
    in which case the point is moot.
    In order to make sense of your post I had to translate it, because the first part is hypothetical, and the second, although based on the first, is declarative (ie a firm statement).

And where I come from if we don't know something and the other person probably does, we frame questions, rather than making firm statements.

Presuming the disrepancy to be linguistic rather than cultural, a translation might look something like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron (translated version) View Post
    "That one looks old enough that it may not be the original paint -
    is that the case?
    If so, the point would be moot."
    To which the answer (for the historical record) is:

It is indeed old, but it is indeed the original paint.

This was confirmed by the original owner, (the only owner before me) who had the original invoice (1982) from Stephenson Machine Tools, Auckland, the Whacheon agents in this part of the world.

The current lathes shown at

http://www.hwacheon.co.kr/eng/produc....phtml?cate2=3

appear to be an indeterminate blue-grey-green, but that may be a function of incompatible gamma values which can skew digital colour transcription. Not having seen one with my own eyes, I don't feel qualified even to guess what colour they are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'v spent a lot of time on a Whacheon, a Mori clone, Great machine. The only thing that realy sucks is the lead screw reverse lever is at the far left end of the headstock and the spindle must be stoped to change directions. This is one thing I realy like about my LeBlond, lever is on the carrage and direction can be changed without stoping the spindle. very handy!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Taper attachments??

Very interesting discussion!
    In my search I have noted that many of the machines advertised don't have a taper attachment.
    I find this to be a little odd given that these machines are considered a toolroom lathe.
    A taper attachment is a "must have" accessory for me. I don't use mine often, but wouldn't be without one. ( particularly in my soon to be "one lathe shop")

Are they available as ad-ons? anyone know about pricing?

Cheers
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Takisawa

Takisawa I believe is what Wacheon and Webb, among others are simply re-badges of. Here is a photo of my 1969 Takisawa, which was made in Japan (not Korea or Taiwan). Takisawa built their own machines in Japan until 1971 when they began building in Taiwan. I know that my lathe had a taper attachment available, but I have never seen one to know what it would look like. Recently, here on the forum a member posted a "unknown" taper attachment for sale that looked to be of a very similar build, but I don't know if it actually belongs to a Takisawa or other similar machine. I paid $2300 FOB Delaware for mine and I am very happy with it. Its well used, but certainly not worn out. Its now equipped with two Albrecht drill chucks, a 10" independent 4-jaw, a 7" Kitagawa 3-jaw, a Palmgren milling attachment, a digital readout, and quite a bit of tooling including Criterion and ISCAR boring bars. I am probably going to build a 5c collet chuck for the machine's L-0 spindle in the near future. Good luck with your search for the right machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails takisawa-97k.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default TTAs for Whacheon

Quote Originally Posted by shapeaholic View Post
    A taper attachment is a "must have" accessory for me. ...
    Are they available as ad-ons? anyone know about pricing?
    According to the http://whacheon.com website, they still carry spares.
    The latest price I have for a TTA from them is 1998, when they went for (gasp) $US400

According to their website, "Whacheon currently has in stock over $1-million worth of parts and accessories for Mori-Seiki, Pre-'85 Webb, and Wacheon (sic) machine lathes."

BUT the website has that kind of hollow, echo-ey feel, like an industrial site where you eventually find an entrance but can hear your own footsteps and there's empty passageways and just the thin sound of a transistor radio from miles away....

BTW - regarding grey vs green:

When I went to their website to check TTAs, I found another green ex-factory machine

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whacheon/Hwacheon lathes parts are interchangeaable with mori contact Whacheon USA