Mori Seiki MS-850 versus Victor 1630 versus Bridgeport Romi versus ... - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rklopp View Post
    The drawbar assembly might be mostly there, but looks mostly broken. It looks like the draw tube was fractured from the tail part that engages the lever.
    Yep.
    I can't tell how much of the hinge/pivot assembly is there without going again for a closer look.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rpseguin View Post
    Good idea! I guess I was stuck in 5C mindset :-)
    Oh, I would not want to be WITHOUT 5C capability!

Too common, too affordable, one of the few with hex, square, internal expanding, step and pot chucks all in the same "family". Too useful in other-than lathe workholding as well.

I just left-off drawtubes and seeking of fast cycle-time I don't even need, bought a couple of 5C key-crankers, one on D1-3, the other a plain "plate" mount..

2J is not my only "other collet system", either!

3. Likes rpseguin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Mori Seiki MS-850 versus Victor 1630 versus Bridgeport Romi versus ...

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Oh, I would not want to be WITHOUT 5C capability!

Too common, too affordable, one of the few with hex, square, internal expanding, step and pot chucks all in the same "family". Too useful in other-than lathe workholding as well.

I just left-off drawtubes and seeking of fast cycle-time I don't even need, bought a couple of 5C key-crankers, one on D1-3, the other a plain "plate" mount..

2J is not my only "other collet system", either!

Eventually Iíd like to get a small footprint VMC and a small footprint CNC lathe (Akira Seiki SL30 looks nice), so if I could share collets between the machines...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've ran a few victors at a community college and I do not like them. Only 1 of the 3 I ran did decent work. From my experience I'd stay away from victors. I have been around a few whacheons and mori seiki lathes and they seemed better overall. Hopefully you find a good lathe

6. Likes rpseguin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chknives View Post
    I've ran a few victors at a community college and I do not like them. Only 1 of the 3 I ran did decent work. From my experience I'd stay away from victors. I have been around a few whacheons and mori seiki lathes and they seemed better overall. Hopefully you find a good lathe
    Yeah, I know the Mori Seiki manual lathes, and their CNC machines, have a very good reputation.

The one Iím looking at is well tooled, has a Heidenhain DRO, 3 jaw, 4 jaw, faceplate, steadyrest, a 5C collet closer, has an A mount spindle. He wants $6500 or $6000 and I could probably negotiate it a bit lower.
    Iíve run the machine and I like it a lot, but thatís a big chunk of change.
    It came out of a shop that was machining graphite, so I donít know what all that graphite would do to the machine, ways, gearbox/spindle short term and long term.
    Anyone?

That dealer also had a Webb that needs some repairs (switches?) and a nice Victor 1630 that I was able to run.

He also has a Lodge & Shipley, but I know nothing of them:

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

He also had this ďmonsterĒ...

:-)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rpseguin View Post
    Eventually I’d like to get a small footprint VMC and a small footprint CNC lathe (Akira Seiki SL30 looks nice), so if I could share collets between the machines...
    Meahh.. don't get ahead of yerself on that one. Whole 'nuther animal.

CNC is not just manual with powered and 'puterized XYZ. It's a different environment and mindset.

"Sharing" collet systems is more a a retiree/hobby thing, and "manual" rather than CNC driven.

CNC - "small budget" most of all - wants some planning as to spindles as can share toolHOLDERS so changers and magazines don't need as much investment to keep well-equipped.

Side note: You don't know about Lodge & Shipley? How about Eugen of Savoy?

What they have in common is basically never losing a battle. Regardless.

Interesting reads, both. Eugen's 60 years in combat, L&S a tad longer - about 90 years as a company, but... no one ever taught the lathes they made to read the memo that they had been orphaned. They just keep making chips!

Dunno anyone yet willing to dare a wager when the last of the Large & Shapely Powerturn, Omniturn, and Superturn lathes still "out there" will cease making chips, either.

Seriously durable goods, and still eminently supportable.

Parts | Monarch Lathes

Lodge & Shipley Machine Tool Co. - History | VintageMachinery.org

In the size range you've been seeking? The smaller of their "Powerturn" tribe:

Lodge & Shipley "Powerturn" Lathes

Work that could stall an Asian lathe could be a light snack for an L&S.
    Bring plenty of electricity, though. They had motors according.

10. Likes rpseguin liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    Suppose you don't use the area, but looks like a big chunk out of the ways under the front cover on the 12 if I'm seeing correctly....might be indicative of abuse - or a dropped chuck?
    I think that might be a smear of oil. To damage the ways from a dropped chuck would mean the way covers would be destroyed, they look OK in that picture

12. Likes rpseguin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    I think that might be a smear of oil. To damage the ways from a dropped chuck would mean the way covers would be destroyed, they look OK in that picture
    One of the features of the Grazianos, a couple of M5 cap screws are removed from the front covers, which are pretty short, to allow turning of larger diameters, rather than a removable gap - more times than not, often lost - at least in this neck of the woods. Could be right about a smear, but like you, wouldn't touch it anyway without powering it up and a much closer inspection.

It does seem a bit of the odd man out here when looking at 5 ~ 7.5hp class lathes.

14. Likes rpseguin, triumph406 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Mori Seiki MS-850 versus Victor 1630 versus Bridgeport Romi versus ...

So, I ran the Lodge & Shipley today and it was a blast.

Itís a model 1408, year is 1965

The machine is pretty nice, well tooled (3 jaw, 4 jaw, faceplate, steady, follower, taper attachment and tooling, ...), the ways look good, spindle runs with a little bit of gearbox noise and the integration of the VFD was done very well.

Not that it matters much, but I actually love the color of the machine, and I think itís original paint still. Anybody have any ideas as to the paint name/color/type and where to get a good match that will be durable?

The issues are mostly minor:
    -some gear noise in the headstock. Could be me being OCD
    -minor: needs new handles for cross slide and tailstock
    -minor: needs a DRO
    -minor, but expensive: the 5C system is wacky. The taper adapter sticks way out and the drawbar looks almost like conduit
    -the Danfoss VFD sometimes gives temporary warnings/faults (WARN. 7 DC link overvolt) when adjusting the speed down when in high speed and it sometimes brings the spindle to an almost stop before starting up to the new speed. Iím guessing this might be some VFD spindle braking ďfeatureĒ that isnít working quite right, so there might be some tuning that could fix this
    -

I opened the gearbox and the gears look good to my eye:

Last edited by rpseguin; 07-17-2018 at 11:37 PM.