What's new
What's new

mori seiki MS850G

GENERALDISARRAY

Hot Rolled
New to me lathe. I dont think it is oiling enough. There is a tag on the apron that says the flowrate can be adjusted via screws. Any idea where these screws are?
Is there any maintenance to be done on the waylube pump without disassembling the apron?
Thoughts on draining and filling with kerosene to flush?

Remove the cover plate on the cross slide dovetail. Move the carriage back and forth several times . You will see how much oil is pumping up into the oil grooves and onto the ways .
I haven't looked for the adjustment screws . If the passages are plugged it may be as simple as a pipe cleaner or a shot of air . Mine is pumping enough but it doesn't gush out that's for sure . I'm going to look for those screws .
Good luck .
Ted

I took my MS850 top slide apart to clean after I got it. The machine was visibly spotless but once I got into the hidden areas it was rather gummed up. Coolant had been used and had gotten into the apron and it was a sludgy mess. Can you see through the sight glass? If not it will pop out easily and you can clean it and also probe inside to see if there’s any goop in the apron. While I had mine apart I found the check valve had broken off the pump so repairs on that were needed. Luckily everything else inside the apron was in good shape.
Regards Z

Poster #2 is on the right track. The adjustment screw is on the right side and is actually the drain (it is hollow). If you screw the adjustment screw down, it allows the lube to drain sooner and lowers the level in the cross slide. That reduces the amount of lube. Back it out and you raise the level and have more lube.
As #2 said, with the cover removed crank the cross-slide back and fourth in Z and you should see lube being pumped up in to the cavity. You have to move it a good few inches for it to pump.

OK . This is how the flow adjustment works .
Remove the cover plate from the dovetail on cross slide (4 screws. ) There is a brass plug with a screw driver slot and a hole through the center . This plug allows the oil to return to the sump . The farther out or higher it is the more oil will flow to the wick reservoirs before it can go back down through the center hole. So only a plug that screws in
to reduce the flow or out to increase . The wicks them selves may need to be cleaned . It's been years since Iv'e looked and forgot what all was in there .
Ted

Back