What's new
What's new

Mori Seiki MS850G oil filter & oils?

tombo

Plastic
Hi all,
Anybody ever changed the oil filter on a MS-850? The manual is pretty vague. I took the top cover off, but it is not evident. The manual says it hold 4.22 gallons of oil! :eek: Mori specified "Shell Tellus C32" for the headstock and "Shell Tonna Oil 32 " for the apron/ cross slide. Anyone know if these are still available or what they might cross to? Also posted a thread looking for a 5C collet nose for this machine. Thanks, Tom

I believe the oil filter lives below the headstock in the oil reservoir. There is an access plate in back that must be removed. When I asked about the filter and necessary gasket (from Whacheon) they said they had never sold one and do not stock them. Shell tellus or their more modern equivalent certainly exists. I use Mobil DTE Light which is an ISO 32 circulating oil equivalent to Tellus. Yes it holds a lot of oil. Mine says to use way oil such as Vactra #2 in the apron and gearbox. Don't forget to put some in the feed gearbox frequently - it is a total loss system. You can't just drip a little in there, the felt distribution system seems to want a fair amount of at one time (like 2-3 oz) to flood the ditch and distribute the oil to the end of the felt. It will all come out the bottom eventually and drool towards the right into the pan.

If you don't know the machine, here is another oil issue: the pump in the apron lubricates everything including the slideways automatically - provided everything is working correctly AND you move the carriage more that two turns of the crank. That's what it takes for the cam to actuate the pump. The cam is on the pinion gear that engages the rack and feeds the carriage. If you just run it back and forth a few inches all day nothing will get oiled. If you run the cross all the way across and take off the exposed cover plate then run the carriage back and forth you should see it pumping oil up. Galleries from there lube the ways, a felt strip distributes oil to all the apron gears as it drains back down.

DTE light in the headstock and Vactra #2 everywhere else is what I was told to use.

If you are running flood coolant be sure that the apron is sight glass isn't showing a half inch of oil floating on a couple gallons of coolant. I saw a big gear at Greer's that was out of lathe that had filled the apron with coolant. There were only tiny nubs of teeth on it.

cheers,
Michael

DTE light in the headstock and Vactra #2 everywhere else is what I was told to use.

If you are running flood coolant be sure that the apron is sight glass isn't showing a half inch of oil floating on a couple gallons of coolant. I saw a big gear at Greer's that was out of lathe that had filled the apron with coolant. There were only tiny nubs of teeth on it.

cheers,
Michael

I was putting oil in the headstock. Only had a gallon maybe alittle more. I knew I had to order some more and let the machine sit for a day. The following day I saw a spill on the floor. don't know exactly how much oil it spilled and from where it came from. Has anybody experienced this before. All the drain plugs and screws that I can think about are tight. There was no oil visible on the glass indicator in the back of the machine. I know for sure I am still a few gallons from fill up.

Same thing here. I didn’t take out the plugs for the bottom on the headstock (plugs A & B) and didn’t account for the oil down there. When you look down in the headstock, you imagine 4.2 gallons to come up a ways, but it does not. Much of that oil is in the lower part of the unit, in the sediment chamber, tubes and pump. I reasoned this out because when I went to have a look at the parts list, there were no oil seals on any of the main spindles that protrude from the headstock. When I measured where the oil level was, after it quit running out onto my shop floor, I figured that the upper level of oil must be somewhere below that line.

When your changing oil, make sure to take out all three of the oil bolts on the backside of the machine. The upper “A” bolt drops the oil some of the way down in the main headstock box. The lower “A” bolt lets the oil out of the lower until. The “A” bolt lets the oil out of the sediment chamber. It’s a good idea to flush out the sediment chamber with some kerosene, and then some oil before you put the “B” bolt back in. After all of the oil is out, you can go about filling it back up.

There is a chart in the manual that says it takes 14 liter of oil. That translates to 3.7 gallons, not 4.2.

I’m relating this from my own experience in case it is helpful. I may be way off the mark in your situation. Hopefully I helped some.

Last edited:

Back