Likes Likes:  0
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Motor size Gaziano Sag 14

G'day,

There is a Sag 14 advertised here in Australia with a 20hp motor. I thought that seemed large for that size lathe. I Googled Graziano Sag 14 and the brochures and UK lathe website all said 5hp.

I thought it worth the question here to see if there is anything I am missing? I did read a few posts about a member who bought a Sag 14 at an auction and there was talk about a 5hp motor.

Could it be the original 5hp motor gave up the ghost and the owner happened to have a 20 hp?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yes, if that is correct and the motor is really 20 HP, it is probably a replacement. my SAG 17 has a 7 HP motor I believe, and I haven't read anything about a 20 horse motor on any SAG 14-17

some lathes were offered with a much more powerful motor as an option (monarch 60 series? american pacemaker? DS&G? John O would know!) but as nice as the Graz is, it is not a heavyweight. I don't think anything more than 7 horse would be appropriate for the bed casting. rest of it could handle more.

on that topic, has anyone ever contemplated epoxying a plasma cut "ladder", cut from say, 1" hot rolled, to the hollow underside of a bed casting ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard-B View Post

Could it be the original 5hp motor gave up the ghost and the owner happened to have a 20 hp?
    I think that’s unlikely. A 20HP motor is physically larger than a 5HP, often by a fair margin.
    My guess is maybe they aren’t super familiar with motors, sizing, wattages, ...
    I would have them send a picture of the motor plate if it’s a long drive.

Cyanidekid is right. 20HP is too much power for that lathe.

If driving with a VFD, you can dial in lower power output though.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Third vote for 7 - 7.5, max. 5 HP "good enough", most days.

Graziano competed with Cazeneuve HBX 360, a nominally 14" X 30", that masses around 3200 Avoir on the earlier cast-not-weldment base, and 7 HP is plenty.

A 20 HP would not even fit in the 480-500 VAC MINIMUM winding, let alone 220/240.

A TWO HP, in "TENV" housing, is a not impossible replacement, fat as TENV's need to be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is there a picture of the drive belt end of the lathe? All these lathes come with end flange mounting of the motors, most off the shelf motors I seem to come across are base mounted - which will give you a quick and dirty indication if there's been something unusual done.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    Is there a picture of the drive belt end of the lathe? All these lathes come with end flange mounting of the motors, most off the shelf motors I seem to come across are base mounted - which will give you a quick and dirty indication if there's been something unusual done.
    Well, they were also metric-dimensioned, now "IEC", as well as generally power-rated in KW rather than HP

Convert hp to kw.

The "good news" if a new one is needed, is they are no longer as rare in the USA as was once the case - given we have been importing everything but our own ass for Donkeys' Years, already.

And I ain't too sure, even so, about my ass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My Sag 14 came with a 4 KW motor about 5.4 hp. I've replaced it with a 3 hp motor and this has worked out well. If that lathe actually has a 20 hp motor, you would need to use that power conservatively so as to not damage the transmission.
    I was able to install a foot mounted motor by fabricating a right angle adapter plate that attached to the original flange mount casting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A SAG 14 & 17 brochure says 5 HP for the SAG 14 or 6 HP for the SAG 17. "50 or 60 CS".

My SAG 14 has a 2-speed motor, the data plate says 5.5 Cv at 1450 rpm, 4 Cv at 722 rpm.

Cv is virtually the same as HP (e.g. 5.5 Cv is 5.42 Hp).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As others here have said, I seriously doubt that a 20HP motor would physically fit in the SAG14 and certainly not utilizing the original C-flange mount. This is a photo of the data plate on my SAG14 motor.

100_2241.jpg

Ted

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
    A SAG 14 & 17 brochure says 5 HP for the SAG 14 or 6 HP for the SAG 17. "50 or 60 CS".

My SAG 14 has a 2-speed motor, the data plate says 5.5 Cv at 1450 rpm, 4 Cv at 722 rpm.

Cv is virtually the same as HP (e.g. 5.5 Cv is 5.42 Hp).
    Quote Originally Posted by talvare View Post
    As others here have said, I seriously doubt that a 20HP motor would physically fit in the SAG14 and certainly not utilizing the original C-flange mount. This is a photo of the data plate on my SAG14 motor.

100_2241.jpg

Ted
    Just a guess, then, as there has been more than one motor fitted, but if there IS a "20" on a data plate? t would be just about right for "FLA" - Full Load AMPS, not horsepower, for a motor that would fit very well, physically, and have the appropriate power for the lathe. "AMPS" are agnostic, metric or imperial measure, even though Mssr. André-Marie Ampère hisself was French, and Roman Catholic.

May be no real "mystery", after all. Classical Mark One Eyeball TIR, rather.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A 20 hp motor will not fit in a Sag 20, there must be a mistake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by otrlt View Post
    A 20 hp motor will not fit in a Sag 20, there must be a mistake.

I generally agree and that’s certainly true in this Sag 14 case.

In terms of power in compact form factors:

25HP (at 12000 RPM)