What's new
What's new

My slow Weiler project

Jontte

Plastic
Hello

I Got a weiler lathe, Two weeks ago. I need to manufacture my own, or modify another lathes tailstock, because its missing. I Got a set of collets for the lathe, which are for sale.
Some pic

Attachments

• WP_20131103_002.jpg
    WP_20131103_002.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 528
  • WP_20131103_004.jpg
    WP_20131103_004.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 365
  • WP_20131117_005.jpg
    WP_20131117_005.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 323
WP_20131103_002[1].jpgWP_20131103_003[1].jpgWP_20131103_004[1].jpgWP_20131117_005[1].jpgUnfortunately the lathe did not come with a chuck backplate, so I had to make one. Well, I failed one, the thread wasn't a standard M45x3, which I tought it was. I made a new backplate from some unknown steel, with M45x3.5 thread, but it didn't fit. I had to make the threads wider, about 0.08mm. I can't find any thread which would match this in any books or anything, but I made a spindle thread model, with matching threads. This will help when I get a 5C collet chuck and going to thread it.

Unfortunately, I'm always too busy when making things, I can't photograph anything. I need a fourth or fifth hand.. I'll take some pics of the finished products a bit later.

I also started planning the top- and cross-slide modifications. I need to turn myself some 10x3 screws and nuts. I don't like the lever system the lathe has. Too unaccurate.

I do want (note, I haven't planned too much yet) a screw-chase cutting system on the lathe, shouldn't be too hard to make. I need to get some ideas first. Pics/sites would be appreciated.

Some bad quality pics attached.

I also got an Emcomat 8.6 lathe, which can be seen in the background in the pics. I use that one to thread etc. but it's too "wobbly". The weiler has got more weight, which makes it more stabile to turn larger parts.

Last edited:
Hello
I Got a set of collets for the lathe, which are for sale

Am interested in the collets, would want to know sizes and price please. You haven't listed your country of orgin so shipping might be an issue. Would also like a close up of collet profile to determine if these are the type I already have a few of.

Am interested in the collets, would want to know sizes and price please. You haven't listed your country of orgin so shipping might be an issue. Would also like a close up of collet profile to determine if these are the type I already have a few of.

Hello,

I live in Finland, therefore my english isn't that good, sorry.

I've measured a collets outer dimensions, and drewn them in AUTOCAD, I'll try to attach a drawing in JPG format. Dimensions are in MM. I've got two square collets, a boring head, two odd looking collets and some regular one's. I'll take a look at them.

holkki.jpg

Hello,

I live in Finland, therefore my english isn't that good, sorry.

I've measured a collets outer dimensions, and drewn them in AUTOCAD, I'll try to attach a drawing in JPG format. Dimensions are in MM. I've got two square collets, a boring head, two odd looking collets and some regular one's. I'll take a look at them.

View attachment 93391

Thank you for making the drawing but the colors do not display well so I cannot read them. You live in Finland and the shipping will probably be too expensive. I wish you much luck with restoring your Weiler lathe.

Back