What's new
What's new

Old Reiden Lathe Value

Tedger

Aluminum
I have been asked to value some personal equipment left behind by a freinds deceased family member. This man had a big shop on his property that he rebuilt cars in for fun. I was sent photos of everything and it all looks fairly straight forward except for a Reiden lathe that sits in the back corner. I will be physically inspecting it tomorrow and was told that it's still powered up. I can't find much info on the web but Lathes + Machine Tool Archive shows the same picture and states the model as TS185. According to the site, These were manufactured in Switzerland and very well made. Does anyone have experiance with this lathe and if so,What should I look for?

Thanks
Reiden Lathe.JPG

Value depends as always on condition and tooling included. Looked at the "Lathes" site and would say 90% of the home shop types [except me] would find it to big etc. $1500-$5000 depending as above in the Phoenix area.

Well, I was able to fire up the phase converter and get power to the lathe. The spindle sounds good but I didn't run it very long because I can't see if the oil level in the sight glass is good.( Too much sticky dirt on it.)I was able to inspect the ways and they look good. I need to get it cleaned up enough to check closer. It looks like it's got about 40" between centers so I'll assume its a TS185-1000.
It has a "Proprty of the USAF" on it and It's built like a tank! It's got an odd compund slide that I haven't seen before, It goes across the carraige a long way and looks like something bolts into it. There is also some sort of angle adjustment on the back side attached to the carraige that would interface with something on the slide. If I can get it cleaned up, I'll post more pics.

IMG_4222.jpg

So after thinking about it a while. UNder all that dirt, The lathe has a taper attachment for the cross slide.

Last edited:

Back