Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello AD

Welcome to Weiler ownership, and I trust your experiences are as positive as mine - -

I recently purchased a Condor VS-2 - - from Tennessee no less - - being a tad more than 19hr round trip from Vancouver BC!

If your LZ280 is similar to my Condor, check that assorted oil nipples haven't been greased instead, with negative repercussions to tailstock alignment in particular - -

Bedways etc on my machine are excellent, but 0.0015 radial movement at the chuck jaws and original vee belts everywhere suggests servicing and adjusting the spindle bearing while replacing vee belts might be prudent

Yes, I could substitute linked belts but with grease rather than oil everywhere wish to check those 2800 rpm bearings

I'm as yet unfamiliar with Weiler parts interchanges, but will sing out if the accessories accompanying my machine don't fit despite being painted the same Aseda Green

If anyone has a spare Condor or LZ330 travelling or stationary steady, or tailstock spindle, I'd appreciate knowing

It sounds as if you have original manuals; if not I can vouch for those offered by Tony Griffiths at Lathes

Good luck and happy turning!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How-D to all;
    Nothing ill to report, still don't have full power to the shop so I haven't given it a check for capability. I've spent most of the "free" time just cleaning it (what an archive....), pushing it in a corner and sorting the tooling that came with it. I've got 3 other recent arrivals (of various vintage) to get sorted/wired for operation to have the shop up and running as well as holding down a day job so it's somewhat slow going. I expect the LZ280 will fill my turning needs for now and I'll be glad I purchased it come the first chip. I do wish there had been a bit more room under the bed to clean out all the reclusive chips that hide, can't even get a decent brush in the tight spots. Haven't noticed any evidence of grease in the oilers yet but won't assume anything until I've verified it. As for the standard pressure guns for oiling, I'll need to find something that works better than what I have as oil hits the ball and gets as much outside as inside the intended location.

Does the tailstock accept/lock on the tang of a shank? I don't feel it on this one. Perhaps some further investigation will reveal something. As it sits, there seems nothing to prevent a shank from rotating in the tailstock except the taper itself. I can't imagine that this would be a positive enough feature for a German design.

Cal- Your remark about "party colored machinery" made me chuckle. I'll have to borrow that one with permission from the author.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

About the forwars stop reverse switch on Weiler lathes
    At least on a Matador and a Condor these are more or less special switches as they have a switchangle of only 30degree
    Most switches have a bigger switchangle
    If in some past the switch is replaced with a commenly available one you get the situation like CalG mentions, only 2 positions possible not the 3 you need
    I found a source for those The ASN W3/16E/F312 has the 30Dgr switchangle ASN is Australian I believe

I hope this helps

Peter from holland

4. Likes phm87 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That was nice of you to post that valuable bit of info Peter, thank you. I'll file that away in the machinery folder on the computer and tuck a printed copy in the manual. I'm wanting to check the switch under the bed for wear condition and wondering if this is still available. I have read many more replies on PM concerning Weiler LZ280's from your country than here in America. My thanks to you and your countrymen for sharing information about these machines. I've been a guest in your country a couple of times and have enjoyed good food and jazz every visit.

-Maurey

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi there and thanks for contributing info for Weiler lathes

The oil nipples puzzled me aswell, cheers for bringing that up.

I made a thread on my restoration on another forum cause beeing a hobbyist here seemed frowned upon. Anyway, perhaps it can be of use for someone to view my progress: Restoration of my Weiler LZ 280S (imageheavy)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Joarek-
    I've been a toolmaker for 20 years, an owner of a Weiler for 3 months. Whether your efforts as a "hobby" are appreciated here or not, I appreciated them and enjoyed looking through the photos in your link. I decided that I would leave the paint on mine as is (party colored as one informed source here called it) and simply use it until something demands it to look nicer.

I've got an electrician here from Memphis and we expect full shop power the next day, several machines will be brought to life. I hope you've had the chance to run yours after all the work you put into it. Thanks for sharing your work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Oilers.

At AD Design, et all,

Regarding the hand-presses for oiling.
    I'm completely satisfied with ones made by Pressol.

Example: (notice: a telescopic shaft will extend further out, when filled and in use, at front)

They handle oil very well with minimal dripping or bleeding when stored for a longer period of time.
    I guess the tolerances are a bit tighter, on the plunjers than some plastic ones that are advertised for grease.
    You can buy them in sizes of 80, 150 and 300 ml. Each size has his advantages and disadvantages.
    But larger is better in my book. although the small ones shine in tight spots.

I recommend getting some that can handle oil very well without dripping or loosing pressure.
    Buy them in pairs if you have oilers external and internal (inverted).
    For the price of this item, you don't want to change back-and-forth between nipples on the hand-press on every
    oiling job you do!
    The ones from Pressol come with two nipples. One for external oilers, and one for internal (inverted) oilers.
    Just buy two presses, so you can switch between presses on the go. Store extra nipples for "never use".

In practice, some oiling nipples on your machines will bleed/spill some oil to the outside, rather than flow through them.
    Just drape a non linting clothe over your oiling gun nipple, sometimes fold double, and oil away!

P.s. Few of us have "eat off the ground, brand spanking new shops". So don't hold us back on images of your Weiler!!

Kind regards,

Danny

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Danny;
    Thank you for mention of this oiler, will look into getting one (or two) in the next week. I've had a long day with an electrician powering the shop and repairing a horse that injured himself (6 inch long laceration). Will take some photos (of shop not horse) and post soon. It's taken me almost 2 years since breaking ground for the shop and I should have full shop power on Thursday. I'm stoked about it.