What's new
What's new

Pics on Schaublin 102 screw cutting attachment

Spud

Diamond
I got a message from a PMer about folks collaberating on building a screw cutting attachment, so I figured I would make a thread and post what info/pics I had.

Anglo-Swiss Tools has pics and info on the 2 types but unfortunately their archives is down ATM.

In the Anglo-Swiss archives, there is mention of a screw cutting attachment similar to below one.

schaublinscrewcuttingpic4.jpg
schaublinscrewcuttingpic10.jpg

schaublinscrewcuttingpic3.jpg
schaublinscrewcuttingpic6.jpg

schaublinscrewcuttingpic8.jpg
schaublinscrewcuttingpartpic2.jpg

schaublinscrewcuttingpic5.jpg
schaublinscrewcuttingpic7-1.jpg

Spud:
I have a threading attachment like you show in your first set of pictures. To use that threading attachment you need a 102 with a type "W" headstock. The type "W" has bosses on both the back and top of the headstock casting for the threading attachment to mount to. In addition there is a gear on the spindle that mates with the gear on the attachment to drive the leadscrew in a 2:1 ratio you need a leadscrew for each pitch that you would want to cut. You can also cut tapered threads with this attachment.
But I have to ask you one question why do you want to build one? Neither one is a very good way to cut threads. The drop down one takes to long to set up and the second one you show is just a pain in the ass to use. You have to set the gears make a cut then back out the tool reverse the lathe back to the start of the cut and start over. That is the sort of attachment you would only use until you had something better.
Be that as it may if you want any photos of mine or dimensions off of it let me know and I will do what I can to help.

SIP6A

I wasn't thinking of building one, I got a PM inquiring whether I would be interested in a collaboration effort to build/design one. I mentioned that I don't have the capability to help but would do what I can , like providing pics and info.

I would be interested in seeing such a project. There was a custom made threading attachment like in the last pictures, that was on German Ebay about 2 odd years ago. Add stated it was custom made but it was very well done, looked factory made.

There are basically two types of threading attachments to Schaublin 102.
The last one, showed mounted on lathe is the true threading one, employing change gears and upper carriage leadscrew powered by universal joints.
Those other pictures shows the chaser threader. It is just a kind of copy attachment to cut threads replicated from a master screw attacched in the end of spindle. Very useful for small pitch threads like those found in optical struments parts, but very limitated in threading lenght. Master chasers are also expensive and not available from Schaublin anymore, so you will have to make them and have them hardned and fine ground if expect to do a good job as a Schaublin 102 lathe is able to do.
My small instrument maker's lathe is fitted with one of the geared type and has a dog clutch. Works fine for its purpose, small parts turning.

How about his one, wich seems to be a mix of the geared / master sort ?

540392290_3_Big.jpg

One can clearly see the masters on the lower right of the picture, but of course also the gears...
You could think that the masters don't belong to the pictured attachment, but then what would be the purpose of the lever ?

There's also that second picture :

540392290_2_Big.jpg

Soooooooo ?

Hi Alpha

I have no clue about the way it works.
The attachment is not mine and I have no connection with the seller. I even don't have a 102 !

I just thought it could be of some interest in this thread.

FWIW the item is currently for sale in Switzerland and the start price is 600 Swiss Francs.

Hello Tien, I sent a PM earlier

I am interested in the attachment but I need to make sure it is made by Schaublin and is for the 102 and could possibly fit the 102N.The price is reasonable for me.

I am wondering if this was part of another Schaublin lathe that was dismantled.:confused:. If this is the case then its not really an attachment which would make it worthless for my 102N.

Can you PM link to seller.Thanks

Tien

I received your messages. I tried to send reply by Email but when I click on send Email, I get the message "user has specified he doesn't want to receive Email" so just PMed the reply.

Schaublin screw cutting

Well, if anyone is interested there is one up for sale on ricardo.ch

Schaublin 102 Leitpatronen Gewindeschneid Apparat in Rüti GL kaufen bei ricardo.ch

Cheers

I got a message from a PMer about folks collaberating on building a screw cutting attachment, so I figured I would make a thread and post what info/pics I had.

Anglo-Swiss Tools has pics and info on the 2 types but unfortunately their archives is down ATM.

In the Anglo-Swiss archives, there is mention of a screw cutting attachment similar to below one.

schaublinscrewcuttingpic4.jpg
schaublinscrewcuttingpic10.jpg

schaublinscrewcuttingpic3.jpg
schaublinscrewcuttingpic6.jpg

schaublinscrewcuttingpic8.jpg
schaublinscrewcuttingpartpic2.jpg

schaublinscrewcuttingpic5.jpg
schaublinscrewcuttingpic7-1.jpg

I've got the older style rear mounted lever type and it came with a 102 I bought last year. It is complete and I'd like to use but it came with only one 2.0mm leader. The chaser is 5 sides of 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, and 5.0. Seems a different chaser is also required for finer threads.
Question is, can I make another leader for threads smaller than 2.0?

Back