Radius/ball turner for a manual Mori?
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Radius/ball turner for a manual Mori?

Hi folks. I'd like to build or buy a radii turner for my manual Mori clone. I've seen the thread here where the fellow built a beautiful one for a Logan and made the plans available; is that the route to go, or is there an off-the-shelf alternative that isn't ridiculously spendy? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Holdridge is the only commercial attachment I've seen and they aren't inexpensive new. There are lots of plans/schemes for DIY ball turners around if you decide to make one. Some are Holdridge clones, others use a boring head, and some replace the top slide. Google on "ball turner plans" and look at the images that come up.

cheers,
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Long Tom View Post
    Hi folks. I'd like to build or buy a radii turner for my manual Mori clone. I've seen the thread here where the fellow built a beautiful one for a Logan and made the plans available; is that the route to go, or is there an off-the-shelf alternative that isn't ridiculously spendy? Thanks!
    There are quite a few different radius cutting tools you can view on Youtube to get some ideas. I made one for my lathe using some of the ideas I saw and made modifications to suit my liking. I've used it a few times now and it works pretty well. I've cut concave contours up to 6" diameter with it. I think I have a total of about $25 in materials invested (and like most of my projects, about $10,000 in labor . Couple of pics attached.
    dscn0379.jpgdscn0382.jpgdscn0380.jpg

Good luck,
    Ted