What's new
What's new

Remanufactured Schaublin 102

Nice Guy

Aluminum
Just received a remanufactured Schaublin 102 from the factory. The motor unit was new old stock. The carriage with DRO is new. The other pieces were sourced individually in Switzerland and delivered to Schaublin with the help of a kind Swiss gentleman who took pity on me after I bought a worn out 102 in the US.
20211218_150646.jpg

20211218_150934.jpg

20211218_150919.jpg

20211218_142145.jpg

The process took several months. There was a delay when a dealer named Haessig pulled a bait and switch and delivered a crappy headstock rather than the one purchased. He said he no longer had the one that he sold to us and another headstock had to be found. The folks a Schaublin were nice to deal with.

I hope I don't put too much wear and tear on it. The remanufacturing of the headstock, bed and tailstock, not including the base components, was 7000$. That included matching the headstock to the tailstock so they align perfectly. The base components in Switzerland weren't very expensive. The carriage is a new off the shelf item for 7400$. I think the new old stock motor unit was the only one they had, 2700$. It cost a lot but before that I spent 5000$ on one that was worn out, bad bearings and rusted in transit to me. I didn't want to spend more and wind up with more junk. The Swiss gentleman helped me pick out the accessories I needed for it so the final order was 3 pages long with chucks,collets...

So what did you do with the one that had some slight rust and needed new bearings? Hope you gave it to someone to fix, not tied a rope to it to use as a crab trap anchor.....

That's a good location specific dig. It's separated into components on the shelf. I appreciate the work people put in to fix old machines but I didn't buy it to fix it. It would have cost much more to ship it to Europe to be restored than the items I bought there. I'm a nice guy but not nice enough to crate and ship it just to give it to someone. If I encounter someone locally that wants to fix it up and use it I would probably just give it to them. When I buy a new vehicle I give away my cars/trucks if I know someone who needs one. It bothers me if they turn around and sell it. I would want to give it to someone that was going to use it.

Never seen Schaublin been written with Umlaut
Peter

That’s only sign of lazyness or lack of respect for

• typography
  • orthography
  • names
  • customers who will buy the product
  • the world

The founder was Karl Schäublin from Baselland. As soon as he moved into the Romandie he became Charles Schäublin. There is the name Schaub (sheaf) also but the diminutive must have the Umlaut. Like Bauer-Bäuerlein. German is a complicated language but not so complicated as Finnish or Hungarian or Turkish or French which is hell, if you want to master it. English has its tweaks, too. A comma before the and with enumerations. A comma to separate with if but no comma before a but. No spacing to a dash and the dash is long―or coupling of the first two elements of triple expressions like machine-tool manufacture.

Of course the machines don’t bother about the lacking ¨ but they belong there.

Of course the machines don’t bother about the lacking ¨ but they belong there.

And that's why Schaublin machines don't use the umlaut themselves, neither in their curren incarnation at smsa.ch, nor in their older literature, where they say

"SCHAUBLIN 12 FRÄSMACHINE" - note the Umlaut that is on the A in fräsmaschine, and is missing in schaublin - in a text otherwise littered with umlauts (= the two dots above a letter in german).

ango swiss tools library Schaublin 12 (german) on Google drive

Schaüblin may well have been his birth name, but I bet he changed it to Schaublin once he settled down in the French-speaking Jura Bernois
Or maybe his partner Villeneuve said "if we really want to be an international company you'll have to drop the umlaut because only zese tschermans understand it"

On Ricardo.ch I hardly ever see Schaublin with an umlaut, neither in french nor german ads.

So, Sorry, but I'm with Peter on this - hah! we dutch have to stick together :-)

Kind regards,

Hans

Do you have photos of the scraping? I would love to see what the factory is doing these days.

It looks like the only scraped surface is under the tailstock. I took the pics with the sun shining oblquely on the surfaces to try to show the detail.

View attachment 338148

20211228_140844.jpg

I cropped them so they wouldn't lose so much detail.

20211228_140910 scrape 1.jpg

20211228_140900 scrape 2.jpg

20211228_140844 scrape 3.jpg

Attachments

• 20211228_140900.jpg
    20211228_140900.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Back