What's new
What's new

Restoring appearance of Multifix tool post ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
I have the same Multifix as in below ad from Romi M17 lathe (see pix and video link). Mine has no paint left on it and wondering what they used on the one below....was it silver hammertone paint....or ?

FWIW, I do have new Multifix nameplate (stamped with appropriate model number) I got from a Schaublin dealer years ago...yet to use it. But back to the paint seems like rattlecan hammertone might not last long on a toolpost.

Thoughts ?

Machinery Values, Inc. - 17'' Swing 43'' Centers Romi M17 CNC LATHE, Fanuc 21-TControl,Toolpost,HandWheels,3-Jaw (Ref No: 154756)

I have the same Multifix as in below ad from Romi M17 lathe (see pix and video link). Mine has no paint left on it and wondering what they used on the one below....was it silver hammertone paint....or ?

Thoughts ?

If you really refer to the toolpost and not the toolholders, the one I can see on MV ad doesn't seem painted to me.
I've yet to see a painted Multifix toolpost.
The collar is just bare metal.

If you really refer to the toolpost and not the toolholders, the one I can see on MV ad doesn't seem painted to me.
I've yet to see a painted Multifix toolpost.
The collar is just bare metal.
I think there is some confusion as Multifix did these differently over the years (weren't they also made in two different plants...Switzerland and Germany ?) ...I think some were chromed and some brushed metal and some perhaps bead blasted ?

But paint...I guess not now that you mention it....sort of looked like hammertone paint in the MV ad but perhaps not. All I know is, mine looks like crap compared to a new one... no dings or anything, just dirty as heck. Could power wire brush it but then it would rust easily.....guess chrome would be ideal but who to do that economically ? Probably no one...

I'd simply brush it with a steel wire brush mounted on a pedestal grinder.
Once your new nameplate riveted, it will look like new because it just the way the are when new (most of them at least).
Funny enough, I think that what make MV's toolpost look like it would be painted with hammertone are light rust spots...

All I know is, mine looks like crap compared to a new one... no dings or anything, just dirty as heck. Could power wire brush it but then it would rust easily.....guess chrome would be ideal but who to do that economically ? Probably no one...

Parkerizing is cheap enough and reasonably DIY with minimal fuss. Proven packaged solutions can be had in pints, quarts, and up for not a great deal of money. Temperatures are not extreme, the brew is nowhere near as hazardous as many of even the 'electroless' plating solutions can be.

Not exactly 'pretty'. but a decent look and reasonably durable finish - tougher than gun 'blue' - for industrial goods that work where a TP has to live.

And then also .. the resulting surface takes Cera-Coat or most paints rather well.

Bill

I have a Swiss made multi fix tool post and it appears to be just raw steel. It may have been belt sanded or the lines might be from when the steel was rolled. Mine had been painted by a previous owner but most of the paint is gone.

Sure is a big difference in appearance in the outer collar (where the nameplate is affixed) and the top surface in the photo though....wonder why ?

multifix.jpg

Sure is a big difference in appearance in the outer collar (where the nameplate is affixed) and the top surface in the photo though....wonder why ?

View attachment 162199

Maybe that guy got also some new Multifix nameplates, and fixed it to a non-original? But I have one which is like the picture (red plate etc, but A size) and the side seems to have had some surface treatment and has some matt grey colour, but the top is a plate material cover and black except for the blank graduation. I think very similar like the picture, the black top reflects and just looks shiny.

The outside cam pull up arms on my Romi "B" post appear to have been just plain steel, while the.Inner splined post is bare, finished ground..for sure no evidence of plating and it's a red tag post.
Top plate is blued . Don't have an original washer, made my own using a little different setup (no garter spring). No rust problem here...

Cheers Ross

For the weekend: 2 original Multifix "A" holders. Left an older, marked Mivesa, ... Geneva, to the right a newer as this is marked "Nouvelle Mivesa, ... Geneva". Left seems bare metal, but darkened; right with a surface treatment(?), greyish.

DSCN1869.jpgDSCN1870.jpg

Back