What's new
What's new

Russian toolroom lathe IZHMASH 1I611P

madmagnus

Aluminum
Good evening, a couple of weeks ago i found this exotic piece of machinery. It's a Russian Izhmash 1I611P -82
I knew right away i wanted it so i persuaded the owner to sell it to me. This is not a wery common machine outside of Russia but it seems that some was shipped to Sweden during the 80:s as payment for other machinery sold by Alfalavall. My lathe seems to be one of these since it has a Profila brand sign ( imported Ussr machinery )
I made some research and found out it was made by the large weapon manufacturer Izhmash.

Unfortunately there was a accident during transport ( i was not involved ) and the machine was damaged, so this tread will be about me trying to repair and restore it.
Under the surface rust and dirt its almost like new, it's most likely not used much and has only suffered from neglect and cold / humid storage.

Stay tuned!

Looks like a well made heavy machine. You did not mention what damage.
One problem is that it could have a metric thread and dial at the cross feed and tool post hand wheel.
You can live with that or you can just turn new lead screws and make some nuts with standard threads and add some standard hand wheel dials.
Also you may not find a steady rest (A must for a lathe) That is easy also just pick up any steady rest and make a riser to fit you bed.
Keep us posted as you put her back to order.

Buck (michiganbuck)

Deeeep bed casting.. long saddle wings, wide cross slide...D1-6" is it?

This could be an interesting machine, indeed.

Do keep us posted!

Bill

In Europe the chuck mount is called DIN55027, don't know if i's the same.
And yes, she's a big lady for her sice. About 900 kg ( 1980 pounds ) i also have a taper attachment, not shown in the pictures.

One problem is that it could have a metric thread and dial at the cross feed and tool post hand wheel.
You can live with that or you can just turn new lead screws and make some nuts with standard threads and add some standard hand wheel dials.
Also you may not find a steady rest (A must for a lathe) That is easy also just pick up any steady rest and make a riser to fit you bed.

Buck (michiganbuck)

It does have metric threading and dials but since im living in Sweden it's a good thing :D

The damage is as follows.

- Spindlegear changingwheel broken off.
- Shaft and turningwheel on apron, bendt and broken.
- Crosslide shaft and wheel broken off.
- Electrical cabinet damaged.
- Carriage, small crack and slightly curved.

The biggest issue is ofcourse the carriage damage, although i might have cured it already ( even though i was told it couldnt be done ) I put it in the hydraulic press at work on a flat surface of Formax-steel, heated it during 4 hours with a heatgun and slowly raised the load to 3000 kg.
I let it cool down to room temperature and when i measured it, it was only 0,07 mm off! Thats something i can work with, just need to learn scraping.

Damage pictures:

Looks like a great lathe! Have you tried to email the factory? maybe the factory has some spares? You wont know if you dont ask ;)

The factory went bankrupt last year, so there are no more production atm. Tried to E-mail some Russian suppliers and they can sell me the parts i need but i have to arrange transportation myself, apparently customs are bad!
I did find a Russian contact at Chipmaker.ru that's helping me so hopefully i'll have replacement parts soon.

Some other parts came off today.

Some pictures of the apron, it needs a cleanup and some new paint but besides that it's in good condition.

I think John Stephenson had one of these.

I remember that too but can not find the thread......however it seems that I saved the photos.......it was rather sadly pulled apart & weighed in at the scrap yard.

regards

Brian

Attachments

• ivan.jpg
    ivan.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 6,455
  • ivanbits1.jpg
    ivanbits1.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 2,242
  • ivanbits2.jpg
    ivanbits2.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 3,012
  • ivanbits3.jpg
    ivanbits3.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 2,559
Deeeep bed casting.. long saddle wings, wide cross slide...D1-6" is it?

This could be an interesting machine, indeed.

Do keep us posted!

Bill

Yes, looks like the design of that bed would rival machines twice its size!
Scale that design up to about a 24 inch swing 25 HP. machine and think of the trouble we could get ourselves into:drool5:

Damn... thats just sad

First thought would be to agree but over the years a couple of these lathes have surfaced on this forum but there has never been any follow up on owner opinion good or bad. Hopefully you will find time to continue this thread & report your experience with the machine, I am sure there are many forum members equaly intrigued as myself.

why was it scrapped ?

From Johns post on another forum it seems that it had sat in his busy workshop for 5 years & he had offered it for sale at £250 without any takers, eventualy he needed the space so scrapped it for slightly more than his asking price.

Though you may well have already found them here are a few threads where similar lathes have been mentioned.

regards

Brian

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general-archive/help-identifying-lathe-72713/

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/monarch-lathes/did-russians-have-their-version-off-10ee-220519/

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/need-manual-russian-lathe-258145/

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/russian-machines-231207/

First thought would be to agree but over the years a couple of these lathes have surfaced on this forum but there has never been any follow up on owner opinion good or bad. Hopefully you will find time to continue this thread & report your experience with the machine, I am sure there are many forum members equaly intrigued as myself.

From Johns post on another forum it seems that it had sat in his busy workshop for 5 years & he had offered it for sale at £250 without any takers, eventualy he needed the space so scrapped it for slightly more than his asking price.

Though you may well have already found them here are a few threads where similar lathes have been mentioned.

regards

Brian

I've been looking for a machine this sice for a long time so i will not give up on it, or this thread for that matter. I tracked down two other owners in Sweden that run these machines and they say that they are very good.
There were three things that made me want it. Its sturdy, got taper attatchment and a fantastic 4-direction powerfeed.

Did some more cleaning and preparation for new paint before i put it back together.
The inside was a horrible mess that took me a couple of hours to get desent.

Got my "new" 160mm ( 6,5" ) RÖHM chuck i bought on Ebay, it was in very nice condition.

I Also got a set of scraping tools, there are 3 Rennsteig and the one with the red handle is Parat.

I have been looking at lots of Youtube tutorials about the art of scraping so i had to try it out myself, the pictures shows parts of my taper attachment after a wery light pass with the steel, just enough to bring out the original factory surface.
It actualy looks and feels wery good and i am very impressed by the craftmanship that built this machine. all flat surfaces has been touched by hand before assembly.

I have exactly this lathe They were imported into new zealand by a jet boat manufacturer. I have a manual in russian which may be of more value to you than me
http://mmcd.meditprofi.ru/machining/...ts_1i611p.djvu
However it has a comprehensive list of gears and bearings
When you get it going I am sure you will love it.
I initially had trouble with the transformer and the timer which were replaced and now the forward reverse and stop is excellent(the red handle)
I am a retired veterinarian so I will be of limited help to you but I am delighted to see another of my lathes
Cheers
David

Glad to hear that you are satisfied with your machine, do you have any pictures of it? i'm working my ass of to get mine in god condition again but soon i'll be putting it back together.

Looks great, keep up the good work ! Reminds me of a Colchester student on steroids, hehe.
You can see the pride in craftsmanship just by looking at the thing, beautiful machine.
How many HP and what voltage does it run on ?

Buck (michiganbuck)
Why would he want an imperial/english machine when he is in metric Sweden?
Congrats on a nice looking machine, I look forward to seeing you get it running soon.

Rob

Looks great, keep up the good work ! Reminds me of a Colchester student on steroids, hehe.
You can see the pride in craftsmanship just by looking at the thing, beautiful machine.
How many HP and what voltage does it run on ?

Thank you! it's a 400V (380) 3-phase 3 KW motor, it's about 4 HP. Quite powerful for it's size :)

Back