What's new
What's new

Sag12 question

Ed0101

Plastic
Hi I’m new to your forum. I have been looking for a larger lathe for sometime and have come across a SAG12. I have a Emco V10P at present. After buying a “lemon” on auction recently I’m very cautious. It suits my size requirement and price range. The thing that concerns me is the threading chart on the the lathe says Witworth. The seller also says the machine is in “inches” which from a metric country may put some people off. My question is will this machine be able to tread TPI threads and what are the potential problems I will have with it.

Attachments

• 019CBD29-9E2C-4F70-9B4B-3E5D7767BE99.jpg
    019CBD29-9E2C-4F70-9B4B-3E5D7767BE99.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 49
Hello Ed
Welcome to the forum
On the treading chart it says the machine is able to thread "Whitworth" which is in fact TPI
You even do not need to change the change gears for switching from metric to TPI on this machine
So no problem there
Is the machine with Inch dials ??
Never saw one

These are very well designed lathes
The weak point is the pressure switch to guard for pressure on the lube system in the gearbox in the base of the machine
Many times it is shorted
But you could search the subject on this board

Peter

Thanks Peter. I assume the dials are in “inch” I haven’t seen the machine yet. My main concern was the threading gearbox. I will look out for the pressure switch issue as well as the clutch functions. Anything else other Ethan the obvious to look out for?

OK. The first Sag 12 was not good. The motor and gearbox had beer replaced with a makeshift arraignment. I passed on it.
However I have found another one. It is old and well used. But it is original and runs reasonably well. The only problem in can see is at the highest speed setting it doesn’t go a fast forward as it does in reverse. The joy stick was missing some screws and I suspected that may be the problem , however have been told that this may be the one of the clutches slipping.

Is this a big problem? Do I walk away or can it be replaced and at what cost?08BEA725-F7E0-4803-82DA-626670E196E9.jpg92D88E49-C9A2-4437-9DB6-0BD6C56766E9.jpg

Was this the SAG12S perhaps with a motorized reeves drive ??
New clutch is about €1000 IIRC
But then the clutch still needs some minor modification
What is also possibleis that you switch the forward with the backwards clutch And even the airgap on the clutch may still have some adjustmend in it
Remember the joystick you have to move upwards to get the normal turning direction for the oil pump to work properly Switch 2 leads if it runs opposite

Peter

Hi Peter. No it isn’t a “S”. It is the older SAG12. There was a suggestion that it may have the incorrect oil in the gearbox and that may also be the problem but at the cost of a new clutch this may be a problem

The switch is incorrect up or away from you was reverse.

Price I got 10 years ago for a similar Graz complete clutch varied between 400 euro and $aud1500. If it is just plates, you could probably get out of it cheaper by laser cutting out some replacements.

"Incorrect" oil in the gearbox, I'd be more concerned with infrequent oil changes and carbon plugging oil galleries in the shafts and starving no longer available bearings in the clutches.

Oldie but a goodie! GizmoWizard’s Graziano SAG12 Page

If it doesn't go thru all the speeds, walk away and find another lathe. Look for a SAG14, doesn't have the speed change using a joystick. Speed change is conventional.

Despite the way covers, I've seen SAG's with badly worn ways, so check that, both back and front.

Also the sight glass for the Gearhead oil should pulse slightly when running, if it doesn't, the spindle bearings etc aren't getting lubed.

Well I walked away from the second one. The speed controller and the possibility that it was not getting oil to the main bearings made my decision, although not easy. It was also in a bad environment for a lathe with quarry dust everywhere. So I will keep looking. Thanks for your inputs.

I agree that any lathe that’s 40 years old will need work. However I don’t want to buy a lathe for the pleasure of reconditioning it. I would like a lathe that works and can be repaired/improved as time goes by. I already have a long term project in the form of a Weiler Condor 9FD5C2B0-29FC-4EDA-B987-83E261F303D3.jpg

I agree that any lathe that’s 40 years old will need work. However I don’t want to buy a lathe for the pleasure of reconditioning it. I would like a lathe that works and can be repaired/improved as time goes by. I already have a long term project in the form of a Weiler Condor View attachment 333366

I have a SAG14 that's 40-50 years old, still in great shape, needs no work

Previously had a WEBB TSL-800, needed very little work. WEBB might have imported into SA under a different name. They made VERY good lathes.

I suspect the chances of finding lathes in good shape here in the US might be higher than SA, just because per capita there's more of them.

I see a fair bit of manual ex Japan stuff going into SE Asia - so must be cheap - or clapped out! If you were chasing a smaller lathe like a 12, that might be where I'd look, rather than the US to avoid the hobby market demand there....if things were that dire locally.

If we were going for the Webb and 12 sizing, this might be the go TSL-550 information - GROWTH POWER I see they also have some of Thermie's favourite french letters in stock!

Back